UNC Chapel Hill Psychology Stipend

rtxj90

Hi, anyone and everyone! I have scoured the UNC website to see if there is any information regarding the stipend given to TAs at UNC Chapel Hill (especially for clinical), but the only information is a "minimum of $15,000." Apparently, there's some variation, and I have a hard time believing that is the stipend for one of the top programs in the nation. I could be totally off base, but it would be nice to know what a realistic stipend would be if anyone had that information. Thanks!

In my experience, stipends for psychology programs are usually between $15,000 and $25,000 depending on the area. You have to keep cost of living in mind; generally, cost of living is lower in rural areas or areas in the midwest/south and higher in the northeast/west. Regardless of cost of living adjustment, stipends are not typically going to provide you with much more than is enough to survive.

$15,000 is totally within typical range for a PhD program (even a top program). Your stipend, no matter where you go, is meant to cover the minimum cost of living in the area. That stipend may also be a 9-month stipend, as well (for instance, summer funding may not be guaranteed, but most students may get it. That would put extra money in your pockets). You also have to consider whether or not health care is covered by the program as well. The student health insurance at my university costs $3,000 a year, but is paid for by my program. There are a ton of programs (even really, really good ones) that don't completely cover your health insurance. Something to ask about on interviews. 

Graduate school is a great time to hone your budgeting skills.  :P

Did you get an interview? If so, would you be able to ask your POI/DCT?

Salparadise, I did get an interview, my POI is [REDACTED :)]. Did you get an interview? Who is your POI?

Edited by rtxj90

Ahh, yes, there is also a 4-5k scholarship award for summer research. I just know that Chapel Hill is a (relatively) expensive place to live--even in comparison with the nearby Durham. 

Salparadise, I did get an interview, my POI is Mitch Prinstein. Did you get an interview? Who is your POI?

So in your case, the DCT is your POI then! And yes, I got an interview. I'd be more comfortable sharing POI details over private message, though (I'll just say my POI is not yours, hah).

Chapel Hill isn't too bad, though I don't know your basis for comparison. There's a lot of smaller neighborhoods in the area that can sometimes have less rent if you're willing to make the 10-20 minute commute, too.

Edited by salparadise

http://www.phdstipends.com/results

It's essentially a website where graduate students can submit what their stipends are for their college and field of study. It's not a very thorough database in terms of psychology phd information, but I thought it was helpful to look at the other programs of my prospective universities.

Hope this helps! If anyone knows of any other website, please post!

http://www.phdstipends.com/results

It's essentially a website where graduate students can submit what their stipends are for their college and field of study. It's not a very thorough database in terms of psychology phd information, but I thought it was helpful to look at the other programs of my prospective universities.

Hope this helps! If anyone knows of any other website, please post!

Holy crap, thank you so much!