indiana slp programs

I was just wondering if anyone knows much about the acceptance rates of IU or Ball State's slp programs? I graduated with my bachelor's degree in history 5 years ago and have worked as a teacher since then. I am not able to relocate so these schools are the only two options. My gpa was only a 3.5 so I am afraid it is not nearly competitive enough. My gre score was 319. I have heard that Ball State mostly only accepts its own students and IU's average gpa for admitted students is close to 3.9!!! Does anyone else know about either of these schools? I am starting to think I don't have a chance.

I'm not familiar with those programs, but have you looked into doing a post-baccalaureate year at all since your undergrad major was in history? Many programs don't accept out-of-fielders unless they complete a post-bacc year of Communication Disorder classes. I don't know if those programs accept students without a background, so correct me if I'm wrong. I am currently a post-bacc student this year for that reason. I'm doing a post-bacc year of CSD courses since my undergrad is out-of-field and a vast majority of master's programs require some background in SLP classes before considering students. But if those two programs accept out-of-field applicants right off the bat, more power to you!

As for the other things, the numbers (GPA, GRE) aren't everything but they do carry considerable weight. Your GPA doesn't sound bad, and the fact you have teaching experience is a great thing as well. Many programs look at applicants holistically, so related experiences can often make up for a lackluster GPA or GRE. Also, the verbal and writing are usual the most important part of the GRE for people going into SLP, so the higher the better. 

Thanks for the response! Both schools say they accept out of field students however I am guessing the percentage is a small one. My gre verbal is 163 and writing is 4.5. I just think my overall gpa is way too low to be competitive. However I never considered a post-bacc. Do you just take a certain amount of slp prerequisite courses? Does it typically take about a year? My only concern was spending a lot more money for more courses after already having a bachelor's degree and then not getting accepted. Maybe I need to take the chance though. Thanks for the help!

I'm applying to IU as an out of fielder with no prereqs and a GPA similar to yours. If not accepted, I'm going for a postbacc or prereq courses to boost my chances. Like the other poster said, experiences can outweight other numerical stats :)

I applied to IU for the bilingual program. I get the impression that schools with bilingual programs would prefer bilinguals a little more. Did you apply for that too?

I think being bilingual gives you a huge advantage for sure! I did take Spanish classes during undergrad but not enough to be fluent. I believe they do phone interviews as part of the selection for the bilingual track. Good luck!! :)

I was just wondering if anyone knows much about the acceptance rates of IU or Ball State's slp programs? I graduated with my bachelor's degree in history 5 years ago and have worked as a teacher since then. I am not able to relocate so these schools are the only two options. My gpa was only a 3.5 so I am afraid it is not nearly competitive enough. My gre score was 319. I have heard that Ball State mostly only accepts its own students and IU's average gpa for admitted students is close to 3.9!!! Does anyone else know about either of these schools? I am starting to think I don't have a chance.

3.9 GPA for overall, CSD or last 60 credits?

The US News list is of the "best grad schools," but highest ranked doesn't always equal most competitive when you look at the numbers. For example, the University of Colorado-Boulder is ranked at #25, but it's a much more competitive program than the #1 ranked University of Iowa. I think UC-Boulder gets double or triple the number of applicants as Iowa, but both programs accept 60-70 students and have around the same target class size. 

IU's 5-year average acceptance rate is 34% (89/262), which really isn't bad! It's way higher than places like UC-Boulder (16% acceptance), and it's even higher than the #1 program (29%).

Just thought I'd point this out! 

I had thought about purdue, however, I had some bad experiences with the slp department. They misplaced my transcript and were really rude when I called. I also asked them to check and see if they had received my letters of recommendation which I sent priority mail. The lady I was speaking with told me she has over 300 applications and does not have time to open all the mail. I have had much more pleasant experiences with IU and BSU so far!