Rural Poverty

risapiecees

I just posted this in the applications thread, but I realized that it might be more appropriate here (sorry to double post!):

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and will be applying to Sociology PhD programs for the fall of 2010. I am interested in Race, Class, and Gender (Women's Studies undergrad major), and specifically in Rural Poverty. I have found a lot of schools that have strong faculty interest in Urban Poverty, but very few with strong Rural Poverty emphasis, especially amongst top schools. Any suggestions?

I have looked at Wisconsin, but several of my professors have told me that Wisconsin might not be a good fit for me because of their emphasis on quantitative methods (not that I don't want anything quantitative, I am just more interested in qualitative research). I'll check out the program at Penn. Thanks!

I have looked at Wisconsin, but several of my professors have told me that Wisconsin might not be a good fit for me because of their emphasis on quantitative methods (not that I don't want anything quantitative, I am just more interested in qualitative research). I'll check out the program at Penn. Thanks!

I just glanced at the Penn State program. It specifically mentions poverty. (R SOC 530 Demography & Sociology of Poverty in Rural America) Good luck!

Don't look at what classes are being taught, look at what the faculty are researching. Are there any articles in particular you're drawn to? See where those profs are and if they seem to focus on that area (versus if they only wrote one article on that subject 10 years ago).