Rejected from one program, but transferred to another?

MidwesternAloha

If it is something you are interested in, what is the harm of letting them do it? You can always make a decision later depending on how the rest of your applications turn out. It isn't like you have to accept their acceptance if the other PhD track accepts you right?

If it is something you are interested in, what is the harm of letting them do it? You can always make a decision later depending on how the rest of your applications turn out. It isn't like you have to accept their acceptance if the other PhD track accepts you right?

Yeah I definitely agreed to the transfer! I am just bewildered.

I've not experienced it, but I've heard of it where one program thinks that your research interests sound more in line with a similar department they'll give them your application instead. Say, you apply for a cancer PhD program when you say you're interested in epigenetics, but they know there are several people over in the developmental biology program who do that they may think that they're a better fit.

Do agree to it! Some schools will let you switch programs (with program approval) after you're in the program. You do have to appeal to both programs, but if they are similar in content it's probably doable.

I somewhat experienced this: I declined an interview, and then 3 weeks later I received an invitation to interview at a similar program (Pharmacology) at the same university. In my case, the original program's application asked for permission to share my application with related departments. I wasn't as interested in the school, so I declined that one too, but I think it's a great idea. 

Edited by pasteltomato

Do agree to it! Some schools will let you switch programs (with program approval) after you're in the program. You do have to appeal to both programs, but if they are similar in content it's probably doable.

I somewhat experienced this: I declined an interview, and then 3 weeks later I received an invitation to interview at a similar program (Pharmacology) at the same university. In my case, the original program's application asked for permission to share my application with related departments. I wasn't as interested in the school, so I declined that one too, but I think it's a great idea.

I'd be pretty happy if this worked out in my favor, I definitely know I'd enjoy the other track but didn't know if these transferred apps ever actually came to something. Good to know you got an interview! Sounds like you made the right choice for your goals. Thanks for the insight. I won't throw in the towel just yet.