Oxford applicants

Kleene

(Math & Foundations of CS)

Not so much on the college front, no. Of course the real waiting game is the funding waiting game. I'm stuck biting my nails until an April announcement in my particular case. 

Hi all, I've applied to the MSt in Global and Imperial History. It seems like a pretty competitive course - has anyone heard anything from the History Faculty? I am aware that they release the results in late March, but do they ever release them earlier? I've been plagued by admissions anxiety recently, and it doesn't help that I am not sure of my chances. My home institution (in Hong Kong) uses BOTH GPA and Honours Classification, which is quite weird I know. I am on a First Class Honours but the GPA for that is lower than the requirement that the Oxford website states (3.7) - so I have no idea. 

Also, does anyone know whether it is possible to send in updated transcripts? My grades for the most recent semester at the time of the application was not released, and when they were released the January deadline had already passed. I emailed the graduate admissions but no reply. Anyone know anything about that?

History will give the results from middle to late March for PhDs and early March onwards for Masters. So it should start next week.

Edited by Cpt Jo

Awesome :) No...nothing yet. I am SO curious about the college right now...

Some sciences applicants hear about funding in January, whilst in the Arts we have to wait until April. So unfair. :(

Hello all! 
Congratulations to those who have heard back from Oxford and good luck to all still waiting to hear!  :lol:

I'm new to this board and haven't really been lurking...I've just browsed rather quickly through so I hope the question I'm about to ask isn't too thick but...

I applied for a Mst in Chinese Studies by the November deadline, I heard back in early January and by mid-January I'd gotten my college assignment (St. Catherine's), my question boils down to this - would I have heard about funding with my college assignment or does funding go out separately? Because so far I am drifting penniless and without funding haha :wacko:

Again, I apologize if this has been asked before and I missed it but any advice/knowledge/help would be greatly appreciated!

Best wishes to all! 

Hello all! 

Congratulations to those who have heard back from Oxford and good luck to all still waiting to hear!  :lol:

I'm new to this board and haven't really been lurking...I've just browsed rather quickly through so I hope the question I'm about to ask isn't too thick but...

I applied for a Mst in Chinese Studies by the November deadline, I heard back in early January and by mid-January I'd gotten my college assignment (St. Catherine's), my question boils down to this - would I have heard about funding with my college assignment or does funding go out separately? Because so far I am drifting penniless and without funding haha :wacko:

Again, I apologize if this has been asked before and I missed it but any advice/knowledge/help would be greatly appreciated!

Best wishes to all! 

Mmmh, funding is only announced in April - I think.

I received an e-mail this morning inviting me for an interview. I applied (January deadline) for the MSc in Mathematics and Foundations of Computer Science. Is there anyone here who already had their interview for this MSc? If so, what was it like?

Oh, hey, I had my interview in early January and was accepted by the end of the month. The interview lasted for about half an hour and I'd say it's nothing to worry about. It wasn't too formal and they asked the expected questions (why Oxford? What are your plans? etc) as well as a few technical and semi-technical questions, but all very simple. They will allow you to ask questions as well and I'd recommend you to do so as long as the question is meaningful/pertinent.

The farthest it went in terms of technicalities was asking me for a definition related to a project I was working on at the time and that I mentioned during the interview. Do your best to let them know you did your research on the University, the course structure and  staff and have concrete reasons to want to be there specifically.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions and do let us know how it went once it's over :)

Edited by Feanor

I just wanted to mention to the other people in CS that were talking about funding etc. that they offered funding (Clarendon) when I got my offer (about 2 weeks ago). They did mention however that there would be a "second round" in which if anyone in the first round of funding offers declined, they would then offer that funding to someone else.

Anyone applied for MSc in Education? I applied by the January ddl and haven't heard back anything yet (No decision, no interview-does that mean I was already rejectedT.T). Any education applicants in this thread?

I just wanted to mention to the other people in CS that were talking about funding etc. that they offered funding (Clarendon) when I got my offer (about 2 weeks ago). They did mention however that there would be a "second round" in which if anyone in the first round of funding offers declined, they would then offer that funding to someone else.

That's certainly interesting news. Was it a raw Clarendon offer, or was it a communication from the MPLS division or CS Department? From Oxford's description, if you received the offer from the Clarendon fund directly there's a possibility that the whole MPLS division has already reported their first round of nominees. 

Ref: http://www.ox.ac.uk/clarendon/information-for-applicants/allocation-of-awards

Edited by ped

That's certainly interesting news. Was it a raw Clarendon offer, or was it a communication from the MPLS division or CS Department? From Oxford's description, if you received the offer from the Clarendon fund directly there's a possibility that the whole MPLS division has already reported their first round of nominees. 

Ref: http://www.ox.ac.uk/clarendon/information-for-applicants/allocation-of-awards

It was an offer from the CS department. The way they told me they were working it was: they would offer the scholarship internally and give the first person a week to decide, and if that person decides to not accept the scholarship they would then offer it to another person in the CS department. After this process, they would then send the nomination on to the Clarendon committee. They said that they had to turn in their nomination(s) to the Clarendon fund on March 6th. But I don't know if other departments follow the same deadline.

It was an offer from the CS department. The way they told me they were working it was: they would offer the scholarship internally and give the first person a week to decide, and if that person decides to not accept the scholarship they would then offer it to another person in the CS department. After this process, they would then send the nomination on to the Clarendon committee. They said that they had to turn in their nomination(s) to the Clarendon fund on March 6th. But I don't know if other departments follow the same deadline.

Thanks for the answer, and forgive me for not saying earlier- congratulations on being offered a Clarendon. I suppose there's theoretically "hope" still alive for other departments and divisions, then. I'm not particularly holding out for getting a Calrendon either way, though. The odds on it are just astronomical, even presuming (my cynical side says incorrectly) that I'm even in the most competitive cohort.

I rather wonder whether they prioritize DPhil applicants over Masters degrees anyways.

Anyone applied for MSc in Education? I applied by the January ddl and haven't heard back anything yet (No decision, no interview-does that mean I was already rejectedT.T). Any education applicants in this thread?

Yes! I applied to the Msc in Education (HE) and I had my interview some two weeks ago now. I'd suggest you get in touch with the higher degrees office of the department (you could send them an email) to find out why you haven't yet been interviewed. From their website, it appears interviews are done for all applicants as it is part of their selection criteria.

I'm however still eargerly awaiting their decision!

Thanks! I am going to write the email now.

And good luck with your application!

Yes! I applied to the Msc in Education (HE) and I had my interview some two weeks ago now. I'd suggest you get in touch with the higher degrees office of the department (you could send them an email) to find out why you haven't yet been interviewed. From their website, it appears interviews are done for all applicants as it is part of their selection criteria.

I'm however still eargerly awaiting their decision!