Stanford EESS -- earth sciences coursework required for application?

omoplata

Hey Guys,

Applied for bio programs this year, but am considering delaying a year to reapply in my specific area of interest, geobiology/earth systems. I heard about Stanford's EESS program a while ago, but was told by someone currently doing grad work in Stanford's Earth Sciences department not to apply to any of their programs without prior earth sciences/geophysics coursework. I have some population/conservation biology coursework and have done some self-study, but do not have any official earth sciences background. I emailed the EESS coordinator, but did not receive a reply, which makes sense given that it is app season right now. 

Just wondering whether someone in the know could corroborate or refute what my acquaintance said? I've already gotten into one program that would let me do geobiological research, even if the program does not have earth sciences in its name, but I've been told by my previous academic bosses and advisors not to take prestige too lightly and to not be so idealistic to jump into a program just because research interests match out of consideration for networking/future postdocs/job prospects. I have a tendency to not care so much about reputation or bragging rights, but have been told this mentality could cost me in the future. 

Edited by omoplata

A friend from undergrad successfully applied to a top 20 earth science program to study biogeochemistry with a biology background/no earth science background.

However, that is of limited use to you as that school wasn't Stanford.

To collect more useful information, I would either email current students to ask, or look at the CVs of current students, working with the advisors you are interested in--that will give you some indication. You can also always email POIs, expressing your interest and background, THEN (if they respond positively), following up with a note about your lack of earth sciences, your plan to start addressing this ASAP, and the strength of your bio background.

As for prestige, I get the sense that it both matters and doesn't matter all at the same time. Your advisors might be better able to help you figure out if Stanford's program is realistic for you/if the program you're currently accepted to is worth pursuing.

fwiw at my department its very common for the bio/geologists, geochecmists, and geophysicists to have come from biology, chemistry, and physics respectively haven taken 0 geology classes.  We are currently in the top 20 on USNEWS (if that matters)  

In my department, it is also very common for students to come in with almost no geology background (the foundation is covered in the core graduate classes). 

Also, prestige is important, but not for bragging rights. High rankings are often correlated with resources available to carry out your research and otherwise support you as a researcher and a person. You want to be at a place where you can reach your full potential as an academic and the more resources you have available, the easier this is. 

I know at least one student previously admitted to Stanford EESS for geobiology with no geology background. Given the nature of geobiology as a field and the type of students entering these programs nationwide (see above), I doubt she was an exception. Also, the researchers I know at EESS are not particularly rock-focused, so a general geology background would not necessarily be useful to the work that goes on in all labs. I think the suggestion that you need any geophysics background to do geobiology is particularly off-base. If you are truly concerned that this will set you back, you could take an evening intro geology course at your local community college this spring or summer.

Edited by Usmivka

Just to add, the Geobiology program here seems to be a "Biology program with applications to Geology", rather than a "Geology program with applications to Biology". That is, it seems like the geobiologists here are biologists by training and want to apply their expertise to work on geobiology problems. Same for the geochemistry program and my program (planetary science). Our whole geology/earth science department seems to be "take people trained in X and have them work on geo-X problems". I think this works really well and creates a very stimulating multi-disciplinary environment. For example, going by BS degrees, in my office there are 2 Geologists, 1 Chemist, 1 Atmospheric Scientist and 2 Physicists. We all work on planetary science research. The ones with Geology backgrounds get to skip the Intro Geology course, which is taught as if it was your first geology class ever (it was for me!).

The ones with Geology backgrounds get to skip the Intro Geology course, which is taught as if it was your first geology class ever (it was for me!).

I wish my departments had a course like that! I still can't identify rocks/minerals/ect except for the very obvious ones. Mineralogy and Petrology, outside of subduction zones, are a mystery to me. 

I wish my departments had a course like that! I still can't identify rocks/minerals/ect except for the very obvious ones. Mineralogy and Petrology, outside of subduction zones, are a mystery to me. 

I learned by teaching.  That was terrifying since I had very limited knowledge going in.  :blink:

I know at least one student previously admitted to Stanford EESS for geobiology with no geology background. Given the nature of geobiology as a field and the type of students entering these programs nationwide (see above), I doubt she was an exception. Also, the researchers I know at EESS are not particularly rock-focused, so a general geology background would not necessarily be useful to the work that goes on in all labs. I think the suggestion that you need any geophysics background to do geobiology is particularly off-base. If you are truly concerned that this will set you back, you could take an evening intro geology course at your local community college this spring or summer.

@Usmivka -- about this student, did she do any previous geology research? 

Also, I was wondering if someone could speak on the quality of UC Irvine's ESS program? The research being done there looks really awesome and the curriculum looks good for me as well (modeling heavy). They appear to be the first "earth system science" program founded in name. 

Edited by omoplata

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Posting just in case someone has the same question in the future: 

Current Stanford Earth System Science student here. This department is diverse af. You absolutely do NOT need any prior earth science/geophysics coursework to succeed in this program, I’m honestly shocked another grad student told you that (to be fair, I can’t think of anyone in geology/geophysics who came here without any earth science courses, but this is very common in ESS, especially in the geobio labs). Many of us have degrees in bio/chem, others have degrees in physics/anthropology/etc. My degree’s in microbiology,  I knew next to nothing about rocks before I came here and I’m fine because I’m in a micro lab. In fact, I would argue that many of the geobiology PIs here prefer taking students with bio degrees interested in geobio over students with geology degrees but limited bio lab skills. 

As far as the required ESS graduate coursework goes...

1) don’t let all the earth-y sounding core classes scare you, they’re just “professors on parade/ here are the different kinds of research we have going on/ get to know your cohort” type classes with nonsense names. No prior earth science knowledge needed. 

2) you can get out of these classes if your PI signs off on it, message me about it if you want.

Edited by uncultured