UC Irvine PhD Stats

Ergodic

Hi,

I have recently applied to UC Irvine Stats PhD program and although these are still early days, it would be great to have some opinion/advice/feedback on this program. In particular, things like placement records, funding situation etc. I know that they have a decent Machine Learning subprogram in collaboration with the CS department. Any feedback from the current/ex students would be very helpful.

Thanks!

I also applied to the PhD program at UC Irvine and I was wondering the same about their program. I am interested in computational statistics and I like that side of their program. I was just surprised to not see them ranked on NRC or US News rankings at all.

Just received my acceptance to UC-Irvine today, I'm in the same situation wondering about the quality of the program.  My current advisor suggested that the level of instruction and research is good (maybe comparable to UC-Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara?), but that the department is somewhat disorganized at times.  I met a current student there last summer, and he seemed to like the program, I don't recall him having any significant criticisms.  He was four years into the program and wrapping up his dissertation (something to do with biostatistics and clinical trials).

I live in the area and will visit the department soon, I'll post back here if I get more information about placements and such.

Just received my acceptance to UC-Irvine today, I'm in the same situation wondering about the quality of the program.  My current advisor suggested that the level of instruction and research is good (maybe comparable to UC-Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara?), but that the department is somewhat disorganized at times.  I met a current student there last summer, and he seemed to like the program, I don't recall him having any significant criticisms.  He was four years into the program and wrapping up his dissertation (something to do with biostatistics and clinical trials).

I live in the area and will visit the department soon, I'll post back here if I get more information about placements and such.

Thanks qub! I know that Dr. Ombao is one of their star professors and so is Dr. Smith. Do they have a Graduate Information Day? I haven't received anything yet from them but that could be because I am an international.

I've met Jessica Utts, the department Chair, and she is a very smart woman and a good teacher.  But I don't know anything about the quality or reputation of the UCI program overall.  Most UCs are at least respectable.

@qub: when you filled out the survey questions that UC Irvine sent after completing the application, did you choose machine learning or statisticall theory as your interests? Just trying to gauge what the program is looking for in an applicant.

That seems to fit their program well. I selected machine learning too and talked about computational statistics but I didn't mention Bayesian at all. I wish I would have looking back now as their program seems to emphasize Bayesian for everything.