Best community health programs

wizrd

Hey all,

Does anyone know how the different community health/social behavioral tracks stack up compared to one another? US news and world reports is cool and all but gives no real feel about the concentrations.

so far go into

UCLA (CHS)

Emory (BSHE)

BU (SBS)

Michigan (HBHE)

Pitt (BCHS)

Columbia (SMS)

Hoping to at some point get a doctorate so it's important to have a research component.

Any tips or insights would be helpful!

I got my BSHE from Emory and it was hands down the best decision I've ever made. The department is SOLID, extremely invested in their students, across the street from CDC and just overall amazing.  Have had two jobs in different PH areas since graduating and have noticed my training has been stronger than other MPH counterparts.  Applying for PhDs now and have gotten into 3 of 5 programs so far, and I truly think my training helped me get there.

Good luck and congrats!

I got my PhD from Columbia's SMS department.  It's an excellent department, lots of research experiences both at the university and at other colleges and universities in New York, plus nonprofits and NGOs in New York. Great theoretical education in the coursework.  Excellent preparation for a doctoral program if that's what you want.  

Honestly, all of those departments are great.  You can get into a great doctoral program from any of them.  Emory, Columbia, Michigan, and UCLA have the best reputations - but Pitt and Boston U are great places too, with lots of research going on.

I got my PhD from Columbia's SMS department.  It's an excellent department, lots of research experiences both at the university and at other colleges and universities in New York, plus nonprofits and NGOs in New York. Great theoretical education in the coursework.  Excellent preparation for a doctoral program if that's what you want.  

Honestly, all of those departments are great.  You can get into a great doctoral program from any of them.  Emory, Columbia, Michigan, and UCLA have the best reputations - but Pitt and Boston U are great places too, with lots of research going on.

Hey 

It looks like that you were in columbia for public health?

Do you have any advice on environmental health program in Columbia?