GRE Scores

grad101

I just recently took GRE and got scores of 700Q/480V. I still don't know my analytical score yet. I am planning to apply to biomedical sciences PhD programs in the coming fall. My undegrad GPA is around 3.5 and have 1.5yrs of research experience (no pubs though). Should I retake my GREs -- I know my verbal is very low(strange because I was getting around 600 on my practice test just the day before I took my exam--dont know what happened!) :o

Thanks a lot for your input!

Your verbal is a little low - I would normally say that (for the STEM degrees) 500V is good, 450V is okay, and 400V is trouble. I am not sure about biomedical, but for STEM degrees a 700Q is actually kind of low - not catastrophic but you may want to look at retaking the exam more for that than anything else.

The practice GRE scores seem to be misleading in some cases... I know there are some people who got almost exactly the same as they did on the practice, but it seems that there are quite a few people who don't even come close. I was getting consistently high scores on the practice, and then bombed my first take of the real thing. I was sick the day of the test, and I know that can have some effect on things... but ugh!

I just recently took GRE and got scores of 700Q/480V. I still don't know my analytical score yet. I am planning to apply to biomedical sciences PhD programs in the coming fall. My undegrad GPA is around 3.5 and have 1.5yrs of research experience (no pubs though). Should I retake my GREs -- I know my verbal is very low(strange because I was getting around 600 on my practice test just the day before I took my exam--dont know what happened!) :o

Thanks a lot for your input!

First off, if you are a foreign student (which I have a feeling you would have mentioned) then I wouldn't worry as much since they understand it is not your primary language.

Generally speaking math/science programs care more about the quant score and english/social sci programs care more about the verbal. That said, in terms of grad school you only need a "not bad score" since, in most cases, all the GRE does is get you past the immediately tossed out pile. Check a couple of your programs websites and see if they post average scores. If you are the average or above, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

That said, in terms of grad school you only need a "not bad score" since, in most cases

I understand the logic, but what is a bad score? I'm hoping to go into a humanities-based MA program at somewhere like Tufts or Georgetown (or NYU or Columbia... but I hear thats a crap shoot no matter what.)

Thanks for the replies.

I am actually not a foreign student. I finished my undergrad in US, I guess I just have to memorize more words and keep practicing for the verbal. And I think my math is not too good either, since the averages for that section are also pretty high for the programs I am looking into. I am going to retake it again with more practice.

Thanks for the advice.