What do you take with you on the actual day of interviews?

MidwesternAloha

Do you mean a list of publications or a copy of the publications themselves? Maybe it really depends on field, but I would only take a copy of my CV (which should include a list of publications) to an interview. I would offer the interviewer a copy when we first sit down (although I would expect them to decline because they already have a copy). I would also include some scrap paper or a notepad / legal pad to take any notes about your meeting after the fact (I'd avoid writing while they are talking to you, unless they are telling you a specific thing you need to write down, like a paper reference). I would not actually take copies of my publication(s) with me though.

Personally, I would take a clipboard or portfolio thing where I can clip the scrap paper to the board and slide copies of my CV into the clipboard. It's helpful because you might get additional papers/materials during your visit (e.g. handouts or your schedule) and if it's all contained within a clipboard or portfolio, then it's handy. Alternatively, even a plain manila folder would be fine to hold everything in!

Honestly I didn't bring anything except a small notebook and a pen. I never found myself in a context where I felt I needed to give someone my CV. In fact I would have felt really awkward giving someone my CV... Conversation flowed really well without it!

I have to say that I have never ever actually given someone my CV for an academic interview (not just for grad school but for internships and other RA positions too). I always have it with me though, because it's ingrained in me from all the stuff I learned in high school for interviewing. So, if that is what you are used to, it doesn't hurt to have it and to offer it, especially if it makes you feel better knowing that you have your CV in your folder. Just don't force it on the interviewer and be prepared for them to politely decline.

Small notebook+pen is an excellent suggestion. I prefer a flat folder myself because I can store any materials they give me more easily and also a folder is bigger and decreases the chance I'll forget it somewhere. But really, everyone should do what they feel the most comfortable with. Academics are not going to judge you based on these little things, so the more comfortable you feel, the better you will "perform"!