Switching Institutions

screencheck

I am currently in my second semester of a Phd Program. I've come to realize that my current institution is not the best fit for me. Since this realization I have contacted POIs at better fit schools about applying next fall. So far, I have received nothing but positive responses. I'm just curious if anybody here has successfully switched institutions part way through a Phd program. If so, do you have any tips? thanks!

Hi! I'm in my second year of an interdisciplinary program and decided to switch over to anthropology. I got accepted into a great school, and I'm deciding whether I should do it or not. The school I am considering has a lot more money, while my program is suffering financially. On the other hand, if I do move I will essentially be starting all over - 2 years of coursework gone (I might be able to transfer a couple of courses, but that's not really going to make much of a dent time wise.) If I stay I'll have just another year of courses and then take my comps.

So Pros for moving: more money, better intellectual fit

Pros for staying: I'll finish much earlier (but will struggle with money)

From what I understand you'll be in a similar position - 2 years of coursework done before you move. One thing to ask about from the get go is how many credits you'll be able to transfer to see how much you can salvage through the transition.

Good luck!

great to know there is somebody else in the same boat! My pro and con list is pretty similar, however I am not as concerned about basically starting again, I've mentally prepared for that. It seems to me that, in the big scheme of things, a year or so isn't a big deal if I'm doing what's interesting to me and I have a good funding package. Also during these two years I'll have done other things besides course work that will have been useful to me. 

I am actually in the process of moving to another PhD program. I have told my current program I am leaving, and I have been accepted to other ones. I prepared myself to the idea of doing everything else. However, one of my potential programs has been very generous regarding the idea of transferring my credits.

An undergraduate advisor warned me that the notion of changing PhD programs was extremely rare. Well, turns out I am the fourth person from my current program to move to another one recently (because of different reasons). 

dewbackguy, if you dont mind me asking, how did you tell your department/advisor? While I have yet to officially select an advisor, I have been working with a faculty member and it is essentially assumed that I am his student. I'm very worried about telling him. I'm hoping he will be supportive and possibly write me a letter of recommendation. 

It was really difficult, so it took me a couple of weeks to basically choreograph how I would approach the topic. I set up an appointment to discuss the updates on my research. Once we covered  my latest findings, I admitted that I had been doing extensive thinking about whether my project fit the program. I told him that I had been thinking about exploring the possibility of applying to other programs for several months. Also, I tied my line of thought to a comment he had made in the past regarding the necessity of being in a program that was congruent and conducive towards the development of a successful dissertation project.

We ended up meeting two more times to follow up on the conversation. I explained the reasons why I thought the program was not the best place to pursue my project. He also offered counterarguments. At the end, it was a matter of demonstrating that I had fully thought about what I was doing. 

Regarding the letter of recommendation, my advisor offered to write me one before I asked him to do so. That made my life much easier.

That's ideally what would happen in my situation. Essentially, you focus on how the fit is not right? My concern is that the people in the department will take it personally. I suppose I could start drafting a speech beforehand.

Yeah, I basically focused on the notion of fit. The lack of fit in my case was pretty obvious, so it made it easier to sell my idea.

Creating an outline of what you will say is very useful. The only issue is that in the heat the moment you may forget the outline in your head.

I'm a little worried that my lack of fit is not as obvious as I would like it to be. Since accepting the offer at my current university I put my interests to the side in order to try and make myself fit in the department. However, it is only recently that I decided that it is silly to not purse my own interests at a university when there are others that may be a better fit. So, for all anybody knows in department, I'm a fine fit. I'm concerned this will all come off as dishonest. 

I'll be honest. I changed my project quite drastically once I started graduate school. I came in as a "pure" cultural historian, which was a great fit in the department. However, my interests and outlook on history evolved during my years in the program. I became interested on urban planning, zoning ordinances, public works, popular resistance towards "urban renewal" in Latin America, and the relationship of the state with the local population. By the time I decided to switch institutions I had become a hardcore urban historian interested on social and political history. Gone were the days of flirting with cultural studies and art history.

Therefore, be honest about what your current interests are. Just tell them: this is what I really want to do and I don't think I can pursue that here.