Why Do Schools Take So Long to Send Rejections?

TXInstrument11

Yikes.... one of my professors asked me how the grad school apps were going, and I told him I hadn't heard anything yet. He said not to worry. He is on the adcom for our school, and he said they had only met once so far >.<

My advisor said the same thing too. He said that it's still decently early and he's the head of the grad admissions committee over here

Ouch. A professor actually said that? That's harsh. I think mine said to worry if nothing by March, but with it being just two weeks off what you were told, I guess there's not too much of a difference between the two estimates. 

Yes, but she is known for being very blunt and in a time like this, I actually appreciate it. I am keeping hope for now anyway. 

Yikes.... one of my professors asked me how the grad school apps were going, and I told him I hadn't heard anything yet. He said not to worry. He is on the adcom for our school, and he said they had only met once so far >.<

That's great, I think my advisor was referring specifically to Ph.D programs in psychology (research-based). I'm sure other fields tend to follow their own deadlines. 

My advisor said the same thing too. He said that it's still decently early and he's the head of the grad admissions committee over here

I think for master's programs, it is still VERY early. I didn't hear back from my master's programs until March two years ago when I applied. I think most would agree that PhD programs notify applicants much earlier than masters programs (on average). 

I think for master's programs, it is still VERY early. I didn't hear back from my master's programs until March two years ago when I applied. I think most would agree that PhD programs notify applicants much earlier than masters programs (on average). 

I also did not hear back from masters programs until March. The Ph.D. applicants should be the anxious ones at this point... I applied to four Ph.D. programs and have not heard anything. I am now anxiously awaiting some sort of waitlist notification -_-

However, I simply cannot lose hope until I receive the official rejection. 

Did you guys hear from any master programs in February or January ? It could be a department or school thing I know two people who already heard back from their masters programs. 

I ended up not applying to any master's programs since I heard back from UIUC while I was considering Brandeis's MA, but a POI there was picking students a week out from the deadline! O_o

I guess some places move damn fast. I guess I have to admire the efficiency!

Edited by TXInstrument11

Also, guys, I think this comic routine kind of summarizes the applicant-grad school relationship. They rush you and rush you to apply and then immediately go silent once you submit your app. It's right down to the detail that some folks get fed up by how School A treats them and instead opt for 2nd choice School B (in this case, we'll call it "Brian").

Texting-7799.jpg

Edited by TXInstrument11

Also, guys, I think this comic routine kind of summarizes the applicant-grad school relationship. They rush you and rush you to apply and then immediately go silent once you submit your app. It's right down to the detail that some folks get fed up by how School A treats them and instead opt for 2nd choice School B (in this case, we'll call it "Brian").

Texting-7799.jpg

Yup, I'm with Aziz. This process is ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...

It would be more considerate to reject people earlier when they know that aren't going to accept someone.   Sometimes

you have to email the university and they will tell you, you were rejected.   It can't be that hard to send out rejections once a week or something like that.

I agree with you. It sucks waiting for weeks or months thinking that there is still hope that you were accepted when all you receive is a rejection letter. These schools often enough know, I'm sure, when they are going to reject someone out right. Smh

This is frustrating.

I have follow up questions about programs that I've interviewed for two weeks+ ago, but I don't know if it is gracefully worth asking at this point. I havent heard back from them, so I imagine I was rejected.