Waitlist Etiquette?

Hi everyone,

I've been waitlisted at two Statistics PhD programs that interest me, and I'm not exactly sure how to proceed (both are top tier schools). I was wondering if anyone had advice for best things to do when you're waitlisted?

I don't have any current faculty contacts at either school. I'm wondering if it makes sense to follow up with someone in the department or to reach out to the department head, just to emphasize my ongoing interest in the program. I was also considering having a current professor write to the departments on my behalf. But I'm afraid any communication might hurt me if it came off as desperate or annoying.

Has anyone been in this situation? Do you have any idea what the "right" kind of outreach looks like? Also, for high caliber programs, is a waitlist generally a "soft no," or do people actually sometimes get accepted after being waitlisted? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Waitlists are kind of like snowflakes; every one is different. 

I think it would be entirely reasonable to follow up with a faculty member at the school you're interested in to express your continued interest in the program. If the school uses the waitlist as a holding tank for the many people they just aren't quite ready to reject, then your email will probably have no effect; on the other hand, if the school has a relatively short waitlist of people they are seriously considering admitting, then taking this initiative could help bump you up a bit.

• 1 month later...