PhD Rejections -> MA Slots

Hey all. As I was going obsessively through the notification board I noticed that last year a lot of people who were rejected from the PhD program at UVA got offered MA slots (I believe most, if not all, were on a waitlist so not outright rejection). I think UVA's MA was unfunded but I noticed some similar scenarios for Uni of South Carolina where they actually offered partial funding for the MA for people who did not make the cut for the PhD program.

Historically, what other programs tend to do this? I don't know if there is a master(s) [get it?] list floating out there but I figured it was worth asking the collective hivemind that is GC. I realize in many senses these offers are nothing more than cashcows for the department, but depending on the program, I thought it was definitely something to discuss/consider.

In return, I leave you with this:

1334015611052_9627332.png

(...and I haven't even gotten in yet~)

I'm not a big fan of the "consolation" MA-offers myself. I worry they create a hierarchy within departments, where MAs are rushed through their programs, drained of cash, and are given little to no serious attention by faculty. This is not to say that folks who take these offers don't get anything out of the experience. I just think that if you don't get into a PhD program the first round, your best bet is to apply the following year to funded MA programs. 

But, to your question: I'm not sure if there is a master list, but I can list the consolation offers I got during my first application cycle: Boston U offered an MA with absolutely no money, Boston College a one-year tuition credit, and Chicago a half-tuition credit for their one year program. You mentioned UVA; some folks have recently received similar offers from UMD. NYU is another one who partakes in the unfunded MA option. I'm sure there are many others. A lot of top 20 schools will do give applicants the option. 

Columbia does this as well, but it's an option you have to check in the application. If they offer any funding I think it's a good way to participate in research and develop an even stronger writing sample, but to offer the MA consolation prize with no funding seems really irresponsible. Especially at a place like Columbia where the tuition and cost of living are insane!

I'm obviously a prime example of the UMD Ph.D. -> M.A. offer.

I'm actually grateful for it, but only because a.) it's local and is a feasible option (i.e., no long-distance relocation for my wife and/or I), b.) there are funding opportunities, and c.) it means that I'm not getting "shut out." UMD's offer is looking more and more like a godsend as the days go on, and I've started to treat it more of an alternate plan A than a plan B.

Having said that, I recognize that this would not be the case if it were any other school on my list. Generally speaking, I think an M.A. offer is something of a consolation prize...but in my situation at least, it's some very appealing consolation.

I'm obviously a prime example of the UMD Ph.D. -> M.A. offer.

I'm actually grateful for it, but only because a.) it's local and is a feasible option (i.e., no long-distance relocation for my wife and/or I), b.) there are funding opportunities, and c.) it means that I'm not getting "shut out." UMD's offer is looking more and more like a godsend as the days go on, and I've started to treat it more of an alternate plan A than a plan B.

Having said that, I recognize that this would not be the case if it were any other school on my list. Generally speaking, I think an M.A. offer is something of a consolation prize...but in my situation at least, it's some very appealing consolation.

Like kuraymino's mention of Columbia, I'm pretty sure UMD was one of the schools I applied to where I was asked to check a box if I wanted to be considered for the M.A. if not accepted to the Ph.D.

I guess in such a case it could be considered a "consolation prize," but I don't think it is on the same level as some schools who don't offer that check box option.  UMD is a pretty selective school with what seems like a pretty limited number of slots per discipline (it being what appears to be a rather large department).  I would look at such a case as more like a two-for-one application than as a Ph.D. option with a consolation prize for its runners-up.  At least, as WT has mentioned, there's a chance of getting a little funding for the M.A. and it's something the applicant can opt for while filling out the application. 

From looking at past results it looks like UChicago would often offer its PhD rejections (ugh, can we think of a different word than "rejects" for people turned down from programs? it's an awful word) unfunded offers for their ridiculously expensive MAPH program (a general Master's in the Humanities -- a great program, but very pricey).  With Chicago's English program, there is no terminal master's, so such an option would, I'd imagine, sting a little more.  Unless you've got like 50k lying around waiting to be spent -- then I'd imagine it's a pretty good option.

UMD is the only school I can remember applying to that offered such an option; I'll post more if I can think of them.  I know with Cornell, they ask you if you want to be considered for another program if you're not accepted to the one you're applying to (I applied to their Medieval Studies program and put Comp Lit as my backup...).

Edited by mollifiedmolloy

I guess in such a case it could be considered a "consolation prize," but I don't think it is on the same level as some schools who don't offer that check box option.  UMD is a pretty selective school with what seems like a pretty limited number of slots per discipline (it being what appears to be a rather large department).  I would look at such a case as more like a two-for-one application than as a Ph.D. option with a consolation prize for its runners-up.  At least, as WT has mentioned, there's a chance of getting a little funding for the M.A. and it's something the applicant can opt for while filling out the application. 

Yes, I'm trying to be as gung-ho as possible about touching base with the DGS and sorting out deadlines etc. It's important to not let my disappointment over all my rampant Ph.D. rejections affect the excellent options that this M.A. opportunity provides...so I'm effectively "powering through" the rejection dejection, making my election for the UMD selection one of affection, since I have a direction (and thanks to Proflorax, a connection)!

Yes, I'm trying to be as gung-ho as possible about touching base with the DGS and sorting out deadlines etc. It's important to not let my disappointment over all my rampant Ph.D. rejections affect the excellent options that this M.A. opportunity provides...so I'm effectively "powering through" the rejection dejection, making my election for the UMD selection one of affection, since I have a direction (and thanks to Proflorax, a connection)!

Yeah man, you should be proud of that shit!  Even in the scenario where that's your only option, when you do get to go to a PhD program, you'll probably be way more prepared than people like me applying/going to PhD programs straight out of a B.A.  UMD's an awesome program too.

Doing an MA made me a much, much better scholar and thinker.  I did UChicago's much-maligned MAPH with a partial tuition scholarship.  In retrospect, I wouldn't do it, but I'm a first generation college student, let alone graduate student.  I had NO idea what grad school would be like.  I went to a tiny LAC with kind but out-of-touch professors.  I didn't know there were funded MA programs; I wasn't even really sure what the difference between an MA and Ph.D. was.  I don't encourage people to go significantly into debt for a humanities MA, especially significantly into debt.  Your situation, WT, is a positive one in that it sounds like you'll be able to get a decent amount of funding and you don't have to make a huge move with your wife and put her in the situation of changing employment.  Those factors all matter, and UMD doesn't accept a bunch of people like UChicago and NYU's MA programs.  Be proud of yourself :)  

I also didn't feel like I was treated as a second-class citizen even doing MAPH.  I did know some people who felt that way, though, so my experience may be atypical.  The difference may have been that I reached out to professors, went to office hours, asked for guidance, went to research groups and workshops, and basically was very proactive.  That's important to do, especially in a large department.  My biggest piece of advice for the MA is to be proactive.  Take advantage of every opportunity and forge connections with professors because you have a shorter time to make an impression. 

Doing an MA made me a much, much better scholar and thinker.  I did UChicago's much-maligned MAPH with a partial tuition scholarship.  In retrospect, I wouldn't do it, but I'm a first generation college student, let alone graduate student.  I had NO idea what grad school would be like.  I went to a tiny LAC with kind but out-of-touch professors.  I didn't know there were funded MA programs; I wasn't even really sure what the difference between an MA and Ph.D. was.  I don't encourage people to go significantly into debt for a humanities MA, especially significantly into debt.  Your situation, WT, is a positive one in that it sounds like you'll be able to get a decent amount of funding and you don't have to make a huge move with your wife and put her in the situation of changing employment.  Those factors all matter, and UMD doesn't accept a bunch of people like UChicago and NYU's MA programs.  Be proud of yourself :)

I also didn't feel like I was treated as a second-class citizen even doing MAPH.  I did know some people who felt that way, though, so my experience may be atypical.  The difference may have been that I reached out to professors, went to office hours, asked for guidance, went to research groups and workshops, and basically was very proactive.  That's important to do, especially in a large department.  My biggest piece of advice for the MA is to be proactive.  Take advantage of every opportunity and forge connections with professors because you have a shorter time to make an impression. 

Out of upvotes, but this is hugely encouraging. Thanks. :)

Holy responses, Batman. I appreciate everyone's sentiments on this subject. I posted last night because I anticipated UVA might offer me the consolation MA. Which they did. And boy could I use those psychic skills to play the lottery so I can pay for the damn thing.

I'm really quite torn atm - mainly because I've been floating in a sea of rejections and it's nice to feel wanted for once (sorry to paint you like an abusive and predatory lover, UVA). Pluses are that it's a really great program, one I feel I truly have a lot of fit with, and it would mean I wouldn't have to sit out another year (I took a four year break in the middle of undergrad so am *super ready* to get this show on the road). Plus I think it would prepare me for intense PhD work, give me a lot of resources to continue the work in my field, and put me in touch with professors whose LOR's have real weight. Plus the bulk of my schools accepted mostly people with MA's (even though they said that the credit wouldn't transfer and they preferred undergrads *shakes fist*).

Honestly the only negative is the gajillion dollar price tag (disclaimer: price tag may or may not be one gajillion dollars). I've already got about $45k in debt from undergrad so I'm seriously not looking to court anymore. And when I guesstimated in my head that I'd probably have to take out a total of $60k to cover both years I managed to talk myself into it - but then when I looked at UVA's tuition and saw they anticipated costs of $49k PER YEAR (included living costs) I essentially laughed and ate an entire bag of dried cherries. That's literally like a house. Or a two year vacation in Europe. And while I totally have faith in myself and my future in this field, I don't want Future Amber to think I'm an asshole and be the reason why we can't have nice things and have to live off ramen noodles for literally decades. 

All that being said, turning it down would probably be shutting myself out this year (unless Rutgers, U Penn, Brandeis, or USC get drunk and accept me). But still, I think I'm leaning on turning this down just because $100k is way too much to justify to myself that I'm not a failure or placate my fear of wasting more time. Ugh. Someone pass me the Scotch.

Gah. That's a tough call, Pol4is. You and I are essentially in the exact same boat in a lot of ways, right down to about the same amount of UG debt (in fact, I might have you "beat" by 10k or so, but I've been too chicken to actually look at it for awhile... :unsure: ). In any event, I think the first thing to do is find out about any possible funding options they may have. From what I gather, UMD is relatively unique about the number of tuition-reducing TAships and GAships they make available, but it's worth asking the DGS at UVA -- as well as other grad students there -- whether or not it is possible to get a gig that offsets some of the tuition cost.

Another possibility is to check out the M.A. deadlines for any of your local universities. An unfunded M.A. is often a lot more palatable when it's in-state...and you do come out of it with an M.A. which (in theory) makes you more employable, even if you don't wind up continuing down the Ph.D. route. That's one of the main reasons why I opted to tentatively accept the UMD offer -- even if I'm destined for a lifetime of Ph.D. program shutouts, most of what I've read suggests that an M.A. will make you far more appealing on the job market in general. While you will no doubt take another kick or two at the Ph.D. can, there's some solace in knowing that you'll have a professional degree if those plans fall through...

The real question is how much more cache an M.A. from UVA has over an M.A. from University of South-Central South Carolina (I'm hoping I just made that name up) when it comes to Ph.D. applications. I assume it will have some, but $70k worth? Hmm...

It's a tough decision that only you can make. My gut instinct, however, is that while getting an M.A. will probably make you a better candidate, spending that much money on a higher quality M.A. is still not going to make you a shoo-in, and could ultimately leave you in the lurch with a fancy UVA Master's in one hand, and a bill for $140000 in the other.

ETA: It's also worth pointing out that where you get your M.A. matters far, far less to an employer than it does in academia. I'm just putting that out there for if you ultimately don't get the "golden ticket" of the Ph.D. path and have to find a different job...

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

I guess the question I have is: what is there to lose by doing an MA on the way to a PhD if it's at least partially funded? I'm not a fan of the assertion that PhD rejections/MA offers are "consolation" prizes meant to raise the department more money. I think that's quite hurtful and reductive considering what are very real options for people. Plus, getting an MA on the way to a PhD might not be a bad idea, considering you can get deeper experience with research, refine writing samples to perfection, and develop solid relationships with professors who speak not just to your potential to do graduate work, but to your demonstrated ability to do graduate-level scholarship.

PS: this is not a response to any particular post, but the title of the topic, and the generally disturbing trend I'm seeing on the results page of people refusing to even consider an MA seat because it's not fully funded or not "prestigious" enough. 

Edited by bgt28

I guess the question I have is: what is there to lose by doing an MA on the way to a PhD if it's at least partially funded? I'm not a fan of the assertion that PhD rejections/MA offers are "consolation" prizes meant to raise the department more money. I think that's quite hurtful and reductive considering what are very real options for people. Plus, getting an MA on the way to a PhD might not be a bad idea, considering you can get deeper experience with research, refine writing samples to perfection, and develop solid relationships with professors who speak not just to your potential to do graduate work, but to your demonstrated ability to do graduate-level scholarship.

PS: this is not a response to any particular post, but the title of the topic, and the generally disturbing trend I'm seeing on the results page of people refusing to even consider an MA seat because it's not fully funded or not "prestigious" enough. 

bgt28, not just an up-vote, but a wholly platonic-yet-hearty "I love you!!!!!"

Thanks for the responses y'all. For future readers of this thread, Boston U also offered me an (unfunded) MA when I applied for PhD and Uni of South Carolina did the same (but with $$$).

I don't know your personal fit with the programs, but I think the programs themselves are pretty comparable. BU has more nationally recognized prestige, to be sure, but U of SC has a great program. I know I would be struggling to decide if I was in your position, but as a third-party I would suggest taking SC's offer. Money amounts to more than we'd all like for it to.