Body modifications in grad school?

dherres

So I had my eyebrow pierced several years ago but took it out due to my job. Last week, a friend convinced me that we should get pierced together as a goodbye "thing" since I'm moving 1000 miles away for school. I got my eyebrow repierced, thinking that it'd be ok as a grad student and no one in academia would really have a problem with it. Now I'm starting to reconsider, though, and getting a bit worried as to how it might be received by faculty, other students, etc. Does anyone have any experience or wisdom in this realm?

It depends entirely on the school and the field. I don't have any piercings, but I do have tattoos and intend to get more. Only two of my three are visible depending upon clothing choice, but I still typically cover them initially. Once the first impression is set, I will wear my normal choice of attire that reveals them. This worked for me during my Master's degree and more than 8 years on the job in state government.

It's the University of Connecticut, in psychology. When I visited in April, one guy I met had an abundance of tattoos on his arms which he made no attempt to conceal, at least...... My mother this afternoon made a fuss of it, which is part of what prompted this post, saying how I'm now a representative for the school, and they're trusting and expecting me to portray a certain image because it's a reflection of them as an institution, and I am now working as a professional in the field and it's not how the business world works, etc etc.

My mother this afternoon made a fuss of it, which is part of what prompted this post, saying how I'm now a representative for the school, and they're trusting and expecting me to portray a certain image because it's a reflection of them as an institution, and I am now working as a professional in the field and it's not how the business world works, etc etc.

No wonder you chose psychology.

Yeah I was thinking that too: No wonder you chose psychology.

I'd like to say that people in my lab have facial piercings and questionable facial hair for academia, and no one really cares, so I doubt that it would really be a huge deal.

No wonder you chose psychology.

Yeah I was thinking that too: No wonder you chose psychology.

Ha! That's amusing; thanks for the laugh, guys! :lol: :wink:

Alright, I'm feeling better about this now, thanks everyone who responded.... silly parents and their inaccurate preconceived notions. :wink:

This reminds me of my dad's reaction when I got my ears pierced (a couple of decades ago). Growing up on a farm and being open to change sometimes feel mutually exclusive. =)

If I ever told him that on principle I refuse to vote for Republicans or Democrats, I'm not sure we'd be on speaking terms.