NPSIA 2015 Fall Applicants

myfirstgoose

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted and I can't wait to meet you all in the Fall!!

There is also Facebook group to join for NPSIA Class of 2017 so we can meet each other and start preparing for our exciting journey in Ottawa for the next 2 years.

Hello,

Is anyone else still on the waiting list? I've been 'Recommended for Assessment' since February and I'm starting to get a little antsy. Like people have said above, I received an email from Tabbatha saying she will get back mid-late April. I'm hoping it's this week.

Hello,

Is anyone else still on the waiting list? I've been 'Recommended for Assessment' since February and I'm starting to get a little antsy. Like people have said above, I received an email from Tabbatha saying she will get back mid-late April. I'm hoping it's this week.

I am in the same boat as you as I am sure several other people are as well. They have already been sending out rejection letters  so I'm glad I haven't received on of those yet! Here's to hoping for this week as well!

I am in the same boat as you as I am sure several other people are as well. They have already been sending out rejection letters  so I'm glad I haven't received on of those yet! Here's to hoping for this week as well!

I'm in the same boat as you guys... International student so they might get back by May...

several posts back we were discussing the 5k TAships vs. the 10k TAships. I just found out that it's because there are "half" TA positions, which essentially offer half the number of hours as the full TA positions. The reason for splitting some positions into "half" is in order to offer more funding to more people. 

My status on the application portal just changed to "review in progress by department." I'm assuming that decisions will be made for those on the waiting list very soon! 

"Dear Applicant,

I am emailing to inform you that the admission committee has reviewed your application for admission for Fall 2015 into the MA International Affairs program. We are recommending to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs (FGPA)  that you be admitted into the program.  Please note that your official offer will be  made available in carleton central and it will take time to process. If you have not received your official offer by May 15th please contact me and not FGPA.

Thanks,
Tabbatha Malouin"

Just received this 10 minutes ago!

"Dear Applicant,

I am emailing to inform you that the admission committee has reviewed your application for admission for Fall 2015 into the MA International Affairs program. We are recommending to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs (FGPA) that you be admitted into the program. Please note that your official offer will be made available in carleton central and it will take time to process. If you have not received your official offer by May 15th please contact me and not FGPA.

Thanks,

Tabbatha Malouin"

Just received this 10 minutes ago!

Me too!!

Me too!!

Congratulations!!! And congratulations to everyone else who will hear back throughout the day and into next week! I hope every single one of you gets in - it's been a long and anxious wait.

Hey guys, just got my offer over the weekend for NPSIA ! Pretty happy about that.

However, now that I have both NPSIA and GSPIA at hand I wonder which one to choose. Thing is, I did not get funding from uOttawa, mostly because of my law degree which brings my grades down a bit, but helped my application to both schools. Now, I have few questions for whoever knows and could help me out in making this very fun choice of grad program.

1. At GSPIA, TA's position are given priority to students above 8.0, which is not my case (see above). I am close, B+ average, but wonder if It will still be easier to secure one at GSPIA than at NPSIA. Similar question goes to Coop, it is very competitive at uOttawa (you need 8.2+, no exception made even for students with a law degree like me, I asked... -.- ), is it similar at Carleton ?

2. Now, I speak french as a first language, and dont mind taking all my classes in English. However, I heard recently that classes in French are starting to be offered at NPSIA too ? If true, is the quality good ? Did they hired french speaking teachers or just asked the english speaking ones who had profiency in french to start giving french classes ?

3. The cluster thing at NPSIA. Now uOttawa does not have any cluster, which I am not sure it is a good thing by looking at the course load which seems somewhat very broad and general. However Carleton fits you in a specific cluster, and it seems somewhat impossible to get out and change clusters during the M.A, anybody as experience on this ? Opinions ?

4. Reputation and facilities. uOttawa has invested a lot into GSPIA, which now has a brand new building, top notch classrooms, and top qualified teachers from abroad. Carleton has 40 years of experience and a reputation that stands for itself. However, rumor is that Carleton is less and less popular with DFAITD, who hires as much at GSPIA and MUNK ? Another rumor I want to pass by you, NPSIA would be more right wing than other schools ?!

5. Finally, unrelated to both schools. I have two degrees from uOttawa (Law and B.Soc.Sc). I heard it is not well seen to have a resume with all you degrees at the same school. Is it only in the academic world, or does an employer will share the same distate ?

Thank you for your help guys ! Congrats to all who made it, and good luck for those still waiting !

Hey guys, just got my offer over the weekend for NPSIA ! Pretty happy about that.

However, now that I have both NPSIA and GSPIA at hand I wonder which one to choose. Thing is, I did not get funding from uOttawa, mostly because of my law degree which brings my grades down a bit, but helped my application to both schools. Now, I have few questions for whoever knows and could help me out in making this very fun choice of grad program.

1. At GSPIA, TA's position are given priority to students above 8.0, which is not my case (see above). I am close, B+ average, but wonder if It will still be easier to secure one at GSPIA than at NPSIA. Similar question goes to Coop, it is very competitive at uOttawa (you need 8.2+, no exception made even for students with a law degree like me, I asked... -.- ), is it similar at Carleton ?

2. Now, I speak french as a first language, and dont mind taking all my classes in English. However, I heard recently that classes in French are starting to be offered at NPSIA too ? If true, is the quality good ? Did they hired french speaking teachers or just asked the english speaking ones who had profiency in french to start giving french classes ?

3. The cluster thing at NPSIA. Now uOttawa does not have any cluster, which I am not sure it is a good thing by looking at the course load which seems somewhat very broad and general. However Carleton fits you in a specific cluster, and it seems somewhat impossible to get out and change clusters during the M.A, anybody as experience on this ? Opinions ?

4. Reputation and facilities. uOttawa has invested a lot into GSPIA, which now has a brand new building, top notch classrooms, and top qualified teachers from abroad. Carleton has 40 years of experience and a reputation that stands for itself. However, rumor is that Carleton is less and less popular with DFAITD, who hires as much at GSPIA and MUNK ? Another rumor I want to pass by you, NPSIA would be more right wing than other schools ?!

5. Finally, unrelated to both schools. I have two degrees from uOttawa (Law and B.Soc.Sc). I heard it is not well seen to have a resume with all you degrees at the same school. Is it only in the academic world, or does an employer will share the same distate ?

Thank you for your help guys ! Congrats to all who made it, and good luck for those still waiting !

Hi!

I think I can help you with some of your question. I'm currently a Master's student, I'm a native French speaker and I have two bachelor from the same university  :) 

1) Regarding the TA position, I did not get one as part of my funding. You can still apply for one but I think the chances to get one is low. It's worth the try though. For the Coop, I think you need B+ to apply. I don't know my friends' grades but I haven't heard about anyone not being able to apply because of grades. However, you have to complete all the mandatory courses in your first year to apply.

2) To my knowledge, no classes are offered in French at NPSIA. It is not a bilingual university like Ottawa. All the classes were in English and you can submit the assignments only in English. This is why the TOEFL scores need to be high.

3) Regarding the cluster, it is true that you cannot change. However, you can try to register for classes in other clusters. I know people who took classes outside their own cluster.

4) I haven't been to GSPIA, so I can't talk for them. I haven't noticed the right-wing feeling from NPSIA. I suppose that it depends on the prof. I had a lot of liberal/Democrat profs. The big majority of my friends got Coop at the government, most at DFATD. I am, myself, working for DFATD this summer. Competition is always higher in Summer. Some prefer to apply in Fall and Winter. Applying to Coop is a lot of work, you have to create multiply cover letters during the exam period, but I think it's worth it  ;)

I haven't applied for GSPIA myself. I guess all schools have good and bad points. I thought that GSPIA didn't have a Coop program. NPSIA is supposed to be more practical and GSPIA more theoretical, but I cannot say for sure.

5) I did two bachelors at Université de Montréal, one in Biology and the second in East Asian Studies and Anthropology. Sometimes, you have to explain it but I don't feel that it is a bad thing. I shows that you have a lot of interests, you can adapt to different program. I heard before that it wasn't well seen in the academia, but many profs I had did at least two degrees at the same school. I don't see an employer having a problem with that.

Hope it helps! If you have any question, let me know. 

PS For everyone getting into NPSIA, I just want to say that grad school is hard, it can sometimes be disappointing. I have many friends that are not 100% satisfied, but honestly, I had a great time in my first year. It IS hard, but it's grad school :) it's meant to be lol I got involved with a charity gala first-year students organize every year. I would suggest getting involved with other students and try to have fun. Some people can be very competitive but most help each other. Overall, I think NPSIA is a great choice and NPSIA is well-known which can always help ^^!! Good luck to everyone! 

Thank you Marika !

Few follow up questions :

1) For the Coop, most people who applied got in ? You mention grades was not really an issue, than what could be ?
2) When do hear about funding ? With your offer of admission or later on ?

Otherwise thank you very much, lot of useful information :)

Thank you Marika !

Few follow up questions :

1) For the Coop, most people who applied got in ? You mention grades was not really an issue, than what could be ?

2) When do hear about funding ? With your offer of admission or later on ?

Otherwise thank you very much, lot of useful information :)

No problem ^^

1) Yeah most that I know of, but not everybody apply. To be eligible to participate in the co-op program, a student must complete 3 full credits.  Of the 3 full credits completed, a student must complete the 4 required quarter courses (INAF 5011, INAF 5012. INAF 5013 and INAF 5014), the required INAF Economic course for their field and 1.5 credits in field and/or elective courses.

2) Usually, funding is when you receive the offer. However, in Fall, you can apply to funding available for all Carleton, and in Winter you can apply to funding for NPSIA only.

Hi everybody! 

I received this from Tabbatha yesterday afternoon: 

"The committee has reviewed your file and we would like to offer you admission into the program.  Since we have space in both IOGP and IDP, can you please let me know which you would prefer? Please note these are the only two options you have.  

Your offer is unofficial until and official offer has been sent to you by FGPA."

I'm so thrilled!!! Those were my first choices so I'm more than happy! Now it's time to improve my english... 

Good luck to everyone! 

For those who got admitted, we'll meet in a few months ;)

Hi everybody! 

I received this from Tabbatha yesterday afternoon: 

"The committee has reviewed your file and we would like to offer you admission into the program.  Since we have space in both IOGP and IDP, can you please let me know which you would prefer? Please note these are the only two options you have.  

Your offer is unofficial until and official offer has been sent to you by FGPA."

I'm so thrilled!!! Those were my first choices so I'm more than happy! Now it's time to improve my english... 

Good luck to everyone! 

For those who got admitted, we'll meet in a few months ;)

Congrats!!!! I'm happy for you! :) 

Hey guys,

I know this a NPSIA-related forum, but I was wondering if there's any facebook or other social media group created for the class that will be joining GSPIA this fall.

I would really like to know some of my future classmates in advance :)

Hey guys,

I know this a NPSIA-related forum, but I was wondering if there's any facebook or other social media group created for the class that will be joining GSPIA this fall.

I would really like to know some of my future classmates in advance :)

Hi!

I'll be one of your classmates! 

I don't think there's a facebook group for this September's cohort but there's a GSPIA one that's fairly active. I'm hesitant about making one myself because I don't want to take on the admin responsibility (I'm not very active on facebook). If there is one though, I'd definitely join! :)