NPSIA 2015 Fall Applicants

myfirstgoose

Also received an unofficial acceptance! Couldn't be happier. Once official offers go out, and people accept, we could start a FB group? 

Hey everyone! My status has changed today from "review in progress by department" to "recommended for assessment", i'm soo anxious! NPSIA is my dream school, but my GPA is kinda low because of ONE bad grade... I'd just like to understand the difference between an unofficial and official acceptance, could anyone explain it? 
Congrats to all of you guys! Let's pray for me please :D

Hey everyone! My status has changed today from "review in progress by department" to "recommended for assessment", i'm soo anxious! NPSIA is my dream school, but my GPA is kinda low because of ONE bad grade... I'd just like to understand the difference between an unofficial and official acceptance, could anyone explain it? 

Congrats to all of you guys! Let's pray for me please :D

Tabbatha sent us this follow up email to answer that exact question:

Since I have received a number of calls and emails, I thought it would be best to send an additional email.  You have unofficially been admitted into the program.  However, you need to wait until you receive your official offer from FGPA before we can tell you have officially been admitted into the program. It is extremely rare that FGPA declines one of our recommendations but you will be notified asap if there is any issue with your official offer.  I hope this clarifies my emailed from earlier today.

Congrats future NPSIAns! I'm a current NPSIA student, accepted last year - browsing these forums makes me a little nostalgic haha. I'm happy to answer any questions about NPSIA you might have, on here or via PM.

Congrats again!

A glimmer of hope for those left waiting: I emailed Tabbatha this morning and she said that offers have not yet gone out for the MA-JD joint program applicants. She mentioned that they may be sending out offers for this particular program by the end of the week.

Now I just hope I haven't bothered her during an undoubtedly busy time!  :wacko:

Hi everyone!!

My application just changed from "review in progress by department" to "recommended for assessment" I'm so thrilled! :rolleyes:

Let's hope the good news keep coming for all of us :D

PS: I also applied to UOttawa's GSPIA, but haven't heard from them. Do you know if there's any GSPIA-related thread in this forum?

I've been looking for a GSPIA thread as well - UOttawa needs love too!

Congrats future NPSIAns! I'm a current NPSIA student, accepted last year - browsing these forums makes me a little nostalgic haha. I'm happy to answer any questions about NPSIA you might have, on here or via PM.

Congrats again!

Hey Archie1991!

I'm moving from Edmonton to attend, any recommendations for neighborhoods or buildings to live in off campus but still within decent public transport capability to the school? Or if any one has any rec's, i'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Hey Archie1991!

I'm moving from Edmonton to attend, any recommendations for neighborhoods or buildings to live in off campus but still within decent public transport capability to the school? Or if any one has any rec's, i'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Hi Tigersjaw,

I am a Carleton Alumni so I'm familiar with some of the areas you might be interested in. I lived in the South Keys area, which is on the O-Train line (the train that runs right through Carleton Campus). I think it's a particularly good area due to it's proximity to Loblaws, Walmart, clothing stores, Bank Street, a bunch of parks and best of all, it's affordable. As you might expect, it is a little far from Downtown Ottawa, however, it's close to the airport.

To summarize - its a great price-conscious, safe and convenient area. It's not great if you're looking to enjoy Ottawa night life or working downtown/Parliament. 

I also applied to the JD-MA with OttawaU (like Lexxa) so I've been sitting on the edge of my chair waiting to hear about my status!! Thanks so much for sharing what Tabbatha said, won't have to bug her myself too :P Anyone else in the joint program waiting?
& congrats to all those that are in!

Edited by Tea_00

Hi everyone!

I've been following gradcafe threads for a while but I've never posted. I just wanted to let everyone know that I also received admissions offers from GPSIA and Public Admin at uOttawa by email today. I'm really happy because those are the only programs I applied to. I know this is a NPSIA thread, but I figured everyone applied to similar programs and lurkers like me might be curious too.

Good luck everyone!

Hey everyone,

I have also been following along with the posts and not actually posting anything. Unfortunately, I have not heard anything yet. My application status says "Recommended for Assessment"... as it has for the past 2 weeks. I am starting to get pretty discouraged and wondering if there is anyone out there in the same boat as me?

For those of you that did receive admission, would you mind sharing your educational background/experience/GPA? I'm curious to see what it is that my application might be lacking. 

And of course a big congratulations to everyone who has been accepted to NPSIA!

Edited by mmm22

Hey Archie1991!

Thanks

Nice, I'm also from Edmonton!

I live off-campus in the Billings Bridge area, along Bank Street. There's a big transit centre at Billings Bridge Mall which has good connections. Anywhere along the Transitway is good (the buildings near Smyth station are pretty decent). Old Ottawa South is close to Carleton, as is the Glebe, both of which are good for basement suites. Further out you could look in South Keys (O-Train access at Greensboro station), Mooney's Bay, or Hog's Back, which have a mix of apartments/houses/suites for rent. These are more affordable, but transit can take a little longer.

I should note that Carleton is only served by 3 bus routes, the 4, 7, and 111 plus the O-Train.

Hey mmm22,

I have a 3.7 CGPA with a 3.9 in my joint honours program. 

I've held three internships unrelated to international affairs, and wrote a very focussed SOP on the area that I would like to research.

I wouldn't get discouraged at this point, because I am sure that more offers will come.

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask! 

Edited by myfirstgoose

Hey everyone,

I have also been following along with the posts and not actually posting anything. Unfortunately, I have not heard anything yet. My application status says "Recommended for Assessment"... as it has for the past 2 weeks. I am starting to get pretty discouraged and wondering if there is anyone out there in the same boat as me?

For those of you that did receive admission, would you mind sharing your educational background/experience/GPA? I'm curious to see what it is that my application might be lacking. 

I have a CGPA of 3.7, with a 3.8 in my specialization (history of international relations). I also have a 3.9 in my first term of a research MA that I'm doing this year.  As such, I'm a teaching assistant currently, and I've been a research assistant for two separate professors for 3 years. I did an undergraduate thesis, which at my school only 1-4 students per year are allowed to do,  and I hold 3 publications in peer reviewed journals (2 book reviews, to be fair), as well as 4 conference presentations, and being conference director at my school's graduate conference this year. Tack on a few leadership/research scholarships from excessive involvement in student government, and it looks like a lot more than it is. I also wrote a very, very pointed SOP on an esoteric (though very topical) issue that I want to research next year, and eventually work with.

Don't get discouraged just because you weren't notified yet, first round isn't finished, and schools usually do multiple rounds of acceptances.

Hey everyone,

Hi mmm22,

Please don't get discouraged, as someone previously mentioned, it is still very early in the first round  :)

I have a 3.8 GPA in an honours program in an international field where I took a language minor, making me (almost :P ) trilingual. I did two separate studies abroad (both in the Middle East) and have almost two years experience at DFATD. Not sure if this matters to them, but I won many academic awards in my undergrad. In my personal statement I'm sure I included my specific research interests, and facts like I have travelled to about two dozen countries.

Everyone has their own special qualities and experiences, so don't stress too much about what others have or don't have relative to you. 

All the best  :)