Duke - Nicholas MEM - anyone with insights?!

divertan

Hi,

As you can see from my signature below, I've applied to Duke for their dual MPP/MEM, and was shocked to receive a conditional acceptance on completion of pre reqs from Nicholas (for the MEM) late last week, given that I have no natural science training/background! Still waiting on Sanford (for the MPP) since they typically release decisions in March, and preparing for the worst, i.e. only an acceptance from Nicholas @ Duke..  :unsure:

That said, wanted to know what others on the forum thought of the Nicholas School's MEM degree - the prestige/reputation of the programme when compared to say Yale and Indiana's enviro offerings, the kinds of job opportunities and/or career trajectories that are likely to result from completing this degree, class size, how much debt it would be wise to take on (I realise this is a personal decision, but I have no idea what starting salaries would be like!) etc etc...

As I've said already, had thought Nicholas was a really long shot for me, and given that it's now actually happened, would love some insights - ANY information you'd be willing and able to share in this regard would be very very helpful!

Looking forward to hearing from you guys, and thanks in advance!  :)

Hi divertan,

See the Duke MEM this year finally and Congratulations!

I also received the acceptance from Nicholas this week after the skype interview. I've not applied for the joint MPP program.

Wish to know more about this program.

FYI, the enrolled graduate students of MEM last year were 130.

Edited by applyingF15

Congrats to you too, applyingF15!  :D

Hoping there are some Nicholas alumni/current students/prospective students on the forum who have more clarity on how Duke's MEM fares against other similar programmes - do write in and tell us more at your convenience!!  :)

Hi Divertan, 

I am also applying for MEM programs (SPEA, SNRE, FES, and Nicholas) and was accepted to the Nicholas MEM program on Feb 11th. I am also stuck with a difficult decision in terms of balancing the program's reputation, fit, and financing. 

If it means anything, Yale FES did their graduate school fair with Nicholas, so perhaps they think their programs are comparable/competitive? 

So far I've been accepted to Indiana (dual ES & PP) and UCSB Bren school. Bren is rather tempting given that the entirety of the program is less than a year of tuition at Duke. Would love to hear other's thoughts in regards to whether the Nicholas MEM program is a good investment  :D

I attended a fair that talked about the "Big Four" Environmental Programs. This was Yale FES, Duke Nicholas, Michigan, and UCSB Bren. They said their programs are compatible, just different perks and focuses! Hope that helps!

@2ndAC Yeah I also heard about the Big Four description.

UCSB has  location advantage related to chances of getting jobs/interns

As for Yale FES, I checked the program site and found that the average age is 27. Comparing with Duke MEM which "40% admitted students are just finishing their bachelor studies"(as the admission officers said via online Virtue House.)

Edited by applyingF15

So, I haven't attended Duke MEM but I know multiple graduates and I've been working with NGOs and in biological research for a few years now. I can say that MEM has an incredible reputation and that students I've seen graduate from this program do better in terms of finding jobs than students coming from any similar masters program that I've seen thus far. It's reputation is very high, particularly among NGOs and policy organizations in DC where I'd say most people that you meet working there were Duke MEM grads. So if that's what you're into, I'd say you can't go wrong! Also, if you're into GIS work, Duke is a great institution for that with lots of profs doing good work in that field. I will say that for those going on to science PhDs, the duke MEMs don't seem to be so great, and I think that's because the program places an emphasis on working after graduating rather than going on to grad. school so most of the MEMs do a more professional degree than an academic one.

I hope this helps

So, I haven't attended Duke MEM but I know multiple graduates and I've been working with NGOs and in biological research for a few years now. I can say that MEM has an incredible reputation and that students I've seen graduate from this program do better in terms of finding jobs than students coming from any similar masters program that I've seen thus far. It's reputation is very high, particularly among NGOs and policy organizations in DC where I'd say most people that you meet working there were Duke MEM grads. So if that's what you're into, I'd say you can't go wrong! Also, if you're into GIS work, Duke is a great institution for that with lots of profs doing good work in that field. I will say that for those going on to science PhDs, the duke MEMs don't seem to be so great, and I think that's because the program places an emphasis on working after graduating rather than going on to grad. school so most of the MEMs do a more professional degree than an academic one.

I hope this helps

Hello everyone! Had heard about the joint grad school fair by Yale and Duke, and along with the "Big Four" grouping mentioned above (thanks 2nd AC!) I'm definitely feeling a lot more confident about Duke's MEM...totally missed out on applying to Bren, since I was so focused on enviro policy and pretty sure that my legal background would make me a bad fit for programmes geared towards enviro science...  :unsure:

That said, THANK YOU untrachel!! Your post is very very encouraging, given that I'm looking for a more professional programme than an academic one, AND that policy work in DC is the dream!!  :D

Hi divertan,

See the Duke MEM this year finally and Congratulations!

I also received the acceptance from Nicholas this week after the skype interview. I've not applied for the joint MPP program.

Wish to know more about this program.

FYI, the enrolled graduate students of MEM last year were 130.

Congrats, applyingF15!

I also saw you from another post. May I ask what was your interview like?  And how long after the interview did you receive the acceptance notice? I also had a very short skype interview on Monday and I'm now very anxious...

Thx :)

Congrats, applyingF15!

I also saw you from another post. May I ask what was your interview like?  And how long after the interview did you receive the acceptance notice? I also had a very short skype interview on Monday and I'm now very anxious...

Thx :)

it took me one day to receive the AD after the interview.

Don't worry mate, good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I attended a fair that talked about the "Big Four" Environmental Programs. This was Yale FES, Duke Nicholas, Michigan, and UCSB Bren. They said their programs are compatible, just different perks and focuses! Hope that helps!

@2ndAC Yeah I also heard about the Big Four description.

UCSB has  location advantage related to chances of getting jobs/interns

As for Yale FES, I checked the program site and found that the average age is 27. Comparing with Duke MEM which "40% admitted students are just finishing their bachelor studies"(as the admission officers said via online Virtue House.)

2ndAC could you kindly elaborate on what are the fortes of each of these Big Four programs?

applyingF15, can you tell us more about why UCSB has an advantage? And others aspects?

I have a acceptance from UCSB and a conditional acceptance from Duke. Energy and Environment is what I want to concentrate in. 

Both programs have a group capstone component where you work on a real world issue. I would take into account which school has professors that have very similar interests to yours, which school you like the location of since your job market will likely be larger close to your school, and ofcourse cost.