A third year student at one of the schools I plan to

wannaphdnHistory

apply to this fall is working on a dissertation that is similar to my interest. My research interest is the slave trade and slavery laws in Alabama (particularly Mobile area) and also the impact slavery and the slave trade had on the economy and/or culture of the area. (Broad topic I know, but of course I will narrow it down by where the research leads me). The third year student at this school is doing his dissertation on colonial and antebellum legal history and its relation to slavery and race in Virginia. We both have Juris Doctorate's. Would this similarity of interests negatively impact my admission chances at the school?

I imagine the best person to ask would be your potential supervisor at that U... and/or the supervisor of the person doing a similar project.

It seems to me that there would be enough room to find something new, but they would be better prepared to not only advise you, but also to argue on your behalf when your proposal comes up before their committee(s).

I would also ask if there is a field rotation for applications. My MA advisor was in ancient history, and he said they get x number of grad students per year, which is about 5 less than all of the sub-fields available. That means some sub-fields don't get to admit anyone if they admitted one or two the year before. The year after that, maybe they will get a few. That said, I would keep in mind that the best application doesn't necessarily win; often what the program "needs" that year takes precedence, unless (and I doubt this happens often at an R1) there is a lack of qualified candidates in that sub-field.

In my experience, something like 95% of Americanists work on slavery in some fashion or other. (OK, I'm exaggerating. But you get the point.) Even if you were both interested strictly in the legal-history angle, you'd still be fine. It really depends on whether your prospective advisor wants to take any more students.

• 1 month later...
I would also ask if there is a field rotation for applications. My MA advisor was in ancient history, and he said they get x number of grad students per year, which is about 5 less than all of the sub-fields available. That means some sub-fields don't get to admit anyone if they admitted one or two the year before. The year after that, maybe they will get a few. That said, I would keep in mind that the best application doesn't necessarily win; often what the program "needs" that year takes precedence, unless (and I doubt this happens often at an R1) there is a lack of qualified candidates in that sub-field.

Ha this happened to me. They didn't need 20th century US at a place or two I applied and lost in the funding round.