How soon do you hear from schools after an interview?

nonickname

Hi guys,

I just wanted to know how long it usually takes to hear back from a school you had an interview with. I heard that if the interview was successful and you're accepted, you hear back within a couple days.

Should I be prepared to be rejected if I don't hear back from a school even after a week?

I'm really worried :/

Don't be worried! At my first interview my POI explicitly told me I was probably going to be admitted, but I didn't get the acceptance email until 2 weeks later. I think this varies widely across departments!

Don't be worried! At my first interview my POI explicitly told me I was probably going to be admitted, but I didn't get the acceptance email until 2 weeks later. I think this varies widely across departments!

Thanks for letting me know! Well, my POIs didn't really tell me if I am going to be admitted or not. They just told me I'm one of their top candidates, and that was it :/ They said I'll be getting the final decision in 1-2 weeks so I've been checking my emails 100 times everyday. I am hoping my interview was impressive enough for them to accept me!

And congrats!!!!! You got in!

Oh no, I think 2-3 weeks is normal.

My acceptances came about 2-3 weeks after the interviews.

Ok, so I still have some hope! Thanks!

I had a good interview in late January, so I'm hoping to get a decision soon! Fingers crossed for today

Good luck!! Hope you get in!

I had an interview on Jan 6th and was told I would be notified in about two weeks, that didn't happen so I sent them an email and was told I was very near the top of the list, but they still needed a few more weeks to decide. Still waiting...

The interview I had on Feb 2nd was horrible and I'm not really holding my breath on that one, but they said they would be getting back to me in a couple of weeks.

Had another interview on Feb 9th, which went awesome and the professor said he would really push for my acceptance and wished I could attend their program, but they will only reach a decision in about a month.

... and I received an offer yesterday from a school I didn't even interview.

Well, those were my experiences, hope it helps and good luck!

Thanks for letting me know! Well, my POIs didn't really tell me if I am going to be admitted or not. They just told me I'm one of their top candidates, and that was it :/ They said I'll be getting the final decision in 1-2 weeks so I've been checking my emails 100 times everyday. I am hoping my interview was impressive enough for them to accept me!

And congrats!!!!! You got in!

Thanks! :) I just mentioned it because it shows that even though they had basically made their decision when I was there, it still took them awhile after the interview to send official notice. Good luck!!! :)

They told me 1-2 weeks at one place, it's now been 2 weeks and 2 days. I know it's not a lot of time but it's still driving me crazy. Debating whether or not to call the department. 

They told me 1-2 weeks at one place, it's now been 2 weeks and 2 days. I know it's not a lot of time but it's still driving me crazy. Debating whether or not to call the department. 

I broke down and emailed my contact today about my interview. I'll post back when I get a response!

I had an interview on Jan 6th and was told I would be notified in about two weeks, that didn't happen so I sent them an email and was told I was very near the top of the list, but they still needed a few more weeks to decide. Still waiting...

The interview I had on Feb 2nd was horrible and I'm not really holding my breath on that one, but they said they would be getting back to me in a couple of weeks.

Had another interview on Feb 9th, which went awesome and the professor said he would really push for my acceptance and wished I could attend their program, but they will only reach a decision in about a month.

... and I received an offer yesterday from a school I didn't even interview.

Well, those were my experiences, hope it helps and good luck!

It definitely helped, thanks! I guess all I can do is to wait and not go crazy... :(

I had an interview on Feb 10th that seemed to go very well. They told me I should hear back "very quickly, within a couple days."

That was 10 days ago. It's hard not to get antsy!

Yeah, it's killing me too! My interview also seemed to go well. But now I'm at a point where I keep thinking how I could've done better in the interview, and I'm not so sure if I really did ok... It's been a little over a week since I had my interview, but it feels like it was months go :wacko:

..also, just wondering, what do you guys think of getting no replies from the POIs after sending a thank you email?  I probably should've written a better thank you email, but mine was very simple. I didn't personalize it or mention what I particularly enjoyed during the interview. Can this possibly be seen as a sign of rejection?

Edited by nonickname