Social Psychology in Europe

nonnviolence

Does anyone have any information regarding social psychology programs in Europe. I am interested in the following:

• If courses are taught in English (in non-English speaking countries)
    Funding sources
    The application process
    The likelihood of getting a job in the US after graduate school

Any info would be great. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am currently in a social-organizational program at the University of Groningen in the Netherlands. To address your concerns (which I had as well), here is a list of answers:

1. The Dutch program does not have coursework exactly, but some one to two-day workshops that are taught in English. If you want to take other courses, there are English and Dutch courses available.

2. The funding is very good, but you have to see if positions are available in your area of research (similar to the States in finding potential adivosrs who are taking students).

3. The application process (at least for me) was much easier than the states, and not as rigid. It was more like applying for a job than applying to grad school, if that makes sense. I had to give CV, grades, references, writing sample, and a cover letter...I think that was all. One key thing was that I was required to have a Master's degree prior to starting (since the Master's program and Ph.D programs are separate in the Netherlands). Message me if you want more details on this subject.

4. This part is up to you, and it was a concern of mine as well. Basically, as long as you have a decent publication record and keep contacts at conferences in the States, you should be okay. I am not exactly sure about this part yet since I recently started my program, but it seems that your fate is in your own hands.

Feel free to message me with any questions--I'll be happy to help. Good luck!