Has history as a dscipline been diluted?

Vr4douche

22 hours ago, ashiepoo72 said:

I thought we killed this thread? Let's PLEASE kill this thread as a holiday gift to all.

Dear all, as a holiday gift to each other and to the moderating staff, please stop replying in this thread. 

To those who have generated reports regarding this thread, please stop. We have seen your reports and we are keeping track of this thread. Creating more reports only generates more work for us and is unnecessary. As a general rule, disagreeing with someone's opinions is not reason enough to report them. If this problem gets to the point where we have to issue warnings and bans, your behavior will be looked at just as much as the behavior of those you report, and I am not sure that you will like the result. So everyone, please calm down and enjoy the holiday break. 

On 12/22/2015 at 9:52 PM, YoungQ said:

There's something I forgot to add and that is about why exactly History is supposed to be objective.

The main reason that research should be objective - other than the fact that subjectivity pollutes facts and causes false information to spread - is the fact that there are so many other avenues out there for those who want to be political pundits. I am not attacking everyone who wants to distort reality to support a political agenda. After all, all societies need politicians to run them.

However, if you want to dabble in politics and not strive for the objective truth in everything you do then you can go into politics, become a journalist, or write a novel. You could join a military, become a celebrity, or get a job as a human rights worker. All of those things are fine and in those professions you can forgot objectivity all you want. I am not calling for everyone to leave those jobs and just start working in universities. Nevertheless, the whole point of academia is that it's supposed to be different (and I will even say, better) at understanding things than the rest of society. That's the whole point of the "elitist Ivory tower."

History is not an objective truth.

• 11 months later...
7 hours ago, AP said:

While I was a little sad for staying in on a Friday night to write, this thread has been totally fun to read. Thank you guys! :lol:

Omg, your post brought it to my attention and I just spent 30 minutes in the mess of this rabbit hole. If only OP had just titled this thread with what was really bugging him all along: "Make history great again????!?!"