Duke or Colorado Boulder

newgrad2015

Hello All,

I have offers from Duke University and University of Colorado Boulder for Ph.D. in Mathematics. I am having a difficult decision.

Which program is better? Could you share some of your thoughts?

Thank you very much  :) 

What really matters is what you're interested in studying, and if your interests are represented well at these schools.

If you're looking for objective rankings of these schools, see here: http://chronicle.com/article/NRC-Rankings-Overview-/124743/

It looks like Duke is stronger in the areas this survey looked at, but the survey is also nearing 5 years old.

Additionally, consider the locations of these schools. I assume both programs have offered you funding -- have you looked at the cost of living in Boulder and Durham? Boulder is beautiful and is great if you're outdoorsy. I have never been to North Carolina.

I live near Durham. I would never opt to live there if I had the choice. My colleagues who attended Duke have nothing good to say about the school other than they went because it had a good name. They had also spoken to me about feeling unprepared for writing and communication skills after obtaining their PhD's from Duke.

I live near Durham. I would never opt to live there if I had the choice. My colleagues who attended Duke have nothing good to say about the school other than they went because it had a good name. They had also spoken to me about feeling unprepared for writing and communication skills after obtaining their PhD's from Duke.

This surprises me - I visited and have heard nothing but good things about the program. While I understand that the people that I met at the recruitment/interview weekend are supposed to present the school in exclusively a positive light, I've met people at other times that say that they loved Duke. Either way, unless you go visit and see the area, you won't know.

I don't know much about the Mathematics program, but I grew up in North Carolina and know a few people who went to Duke for undergrad. 

From my observations, people have strong reactions to both Duke and Durham: either they love it or...they don't. 

I think there's some new, interesting things happening in Durham, but it would definitely be different from the outdoor lifestyle of Boulder.