UC Davis 2015

jkonick

Anyone out there? Just got accepted to comparative literature. Anyone looked at housing yet? I'm currently in San Francisco, trying to hold out here as long as possible before school starts - would prefer to move up there mid-September but not sure if that will be feasible. 

Thanks! Good to know things are competitive although I can't imagine it's worse than SF, where I have lived in five increasingly expensive apartments in two years. 

What's the best way to find a room in a house/apartment? Craigslist? Definitely not interested in campus housing and would prefer to live with other grad students, or other people in general. Will have a bike so I'm not worried about being super close to campus. Right now I'm paying about $950 for rent in SF but ideally I'd like to find something in the $600-800 range. Is it easy to find housing if you can't be there in person to check the place out (this was a huge problem in SF)?

Edited by jkonick

Thanks! Good to know things are competitive although I can't imagine it's worse than SF, where I have lived in five increasingly expensive apartments in two years. 

What's the best way to find a room in a house/apartment? Craigslist? Definitely not interested in campus housing and would prefer to live with other grad students, or other people in general. Will have a bike so I'm not worried about being super close to campus. Right now I'm paying about $950 for rent in SF but ideally I'd like to find something in the $600-800 range. Is it easy to find housing if you can't be there in person to check the place out (this was a huge problem in SF)?

I'm currently paying 635 a month for a 4 bedroom 2 bath, and I wasn't there in person to get the room.

I'm going to be moving into a 2 bedroom 2 bath (the last unit in the complex for fall 2015! Had to sign the lease last month to get it..) for 810 a month. Both are in what I would call "prime" locations so they are on the expensive side. They are less than 2 miles from campus and less than half a mile from grocery, and the new place is 2 minutes from downtown. 

I think thats the right idea, I'm not in bad shape, but not in good shape, and I easily bike 10 miles or so in davis. Its very easy because the roads are well maintained and its flat! 

I think craigslist is best... or you could do what I did and do university housing (8th and Wake) for the first year until you find some buds to live with. They do roommate matching, are very close to campus and trader joes. Leases are individual so if they don't pay rent or electric your not SOL.

I don't think the housing is about being there in person, its about acting fast. Its just hard to find a place after a certain point (I booked 8th and Wake in march last year, but it wasn't full only because it was a new complex and people didnt know about it yet.).

Most places have huge waitlists. Get on them ! 

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be attending this Fall for Biopsych. Thanks for your advice on housing, GeoDude!. I'm currently going through the process of looking for housing now, and I've heard by a ton of people that it's incredibly competitive. Are there any services for finding roommates?

Are there any services for finding roommates?

Not that I know of. Some apartment complexes have roomate matching. Sometimes on craigslist people are looking to just fill 1 spot , and thats a good way to go about it. 

Not that I know of. Some apartment complexes have roomate matching. Sometimes on craigslist people are looking to just fill 1 spot , and thats a good way to go about it. 

Good to know, thank you!

I'll be attending this fall, English. Thanks for your advice. I looked at DavisWiki, but there are very very few apartment reviews (esp recent). Generally speaking, which are some of the better complexes? And which are the worse ones?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know about 8th and Wake, the graduate student housing? I got an email about them today from my department - seems easy and cheap ($650/month), but I'm afraid it's going to be like living in the dorms again, which I really don't want to do. Anyone had experiences with them? 

Anyone know about 8th and Wake, the graduate student housing? I got an email about them today from my department - seems easy and cheap ($650/month), but I'm afraid it's going to be like living in the dorms again, which I really don't want to do. Anyone had experiences with them? 

Its fine for a first apartment, I'm currently in them. Its actually not cheap, as you can get a 3 bedroom apartment for ~500 each ~2 miles away from campus. Its not anything like dorms.

• 2 weeks later...

For folks moving to Davis: I live there now. Have been in town for ~4 years (undergrad & working). 

My rent history:
$780 got me a BIG bedroom in a 4b/4ba, brand new complex, nice everything (yes, private bath). 
$850 got me a decent studio apartment. Building was kinda funky, but the place was good for solo living plus it was right downtown and 2 min from campus (1st and C).
$1040 now gets me a nice big 1b in a nice complex, near downtown but not in it, with my cat. I'm only here because I can afford it.

Message me or leave comments here is anyone has any Davis questions. It's a great little town! 

Nothing can be as bad as Santa Cruz :P

The prices here actually look incredibly reasonable to me.

As someone who grew up in Santa Cruz and is finishing their undergrad at Davis, I can guarantee you will be so happy with the housing/rental market when you move.

Just accepted Davis!!! I'm from the Sacramento area and currently working in a lab at UCD, so I might be able to answer questions if anyone is curious about anything

Hi, just got this mail from UCD electrical engineering adcom. Does it mean I'm on some sort of waitlist?

I am writing with a brief update from ECE’s Admissions Committee, regarding your application status at UC Davis.

The application is complete and has been reviewed with the priority application pool. However, the admission committee is not able to make a decision on your application at this time.

Your application will be re-reviewed with the General Application pool after the April 15 deadline. We expect General Application decisions to be released during late May and early June.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is looking for a place to sublet (furnished or unfurnished) in a primo location this summer (july, august, with the lease being over august 31st) let me know. Note you must be a graduate student or incoming graduate student.