WHAT IS GOING ON???

I honestly can't take this anymore. This is my first time ever going through this process. I thought it would be quick and I also thought that I was a "shoe in!" Thankfully my first response was an acceptance, so I have SOMEWHERE to go, but honestly, I would never do this again. At this point, I just want acceptance from more than 1 of the 10 schools I applied to so that I know that I am really "good enough." This sucks.

In my experience (two rounds of applying to grad school) admissions are a fickle thing and rejections aren't always about whether or not you are "good enough." It could be many things, including a POI who doesn't want another grad student or is leaving the department... or other students with similar applications/research interests... Don't let it get you down! Congrats on the acceptance!

That's another thing that is killing me. I found this website 2 weeks ago (months after apps were sent in) and had no idea what a POI was. Was I supposed to have one??

Just some background: I was a cop for 8 years. Before that, I was a middle school teacher. I know that I'm smart enough to earn my Ph.D., but I had no experience in the world of academia. I guess I should count myself lucky for the one acceptance I got??

Edited by smcg

Ten schools wow.... I thought my seven were bad, lol! I simply just mentioned a professor I would like to work with in my SOP for a particular school

It almost feels like you're shi++ing on me for applying to 10 schools. Look at the results page. There are people applying to 20+

Generally, it's a good idea to explain your research interests and professors whose interests align with yours in your personal statement. 

Academia is definitely one of those worlds people have to be "socialized" into to understand all the protocols and intricacies. Hopefully, PhD programs understand that not all prospective students know these yet.

I wouldn't say it was "luck," as they wouldn't admit someone not qualified, but I would say don't look a gift horse in the mouth  :P getting into a program is a big accomplishment!

I got into the U of Massachusetts. Funding announcing mid March.

Congrats! I think that program is very new and hasn't broken into the rankings yet.

My one piece of general advice would be to not do any PhD program unless you get funding (i.e., a stipend of at least $15K, plus tuition paid for).

I got into the U of Massachusetts. Funding announcing mid March.

Did you hear from Maryland yet? Saw a couple acceptances on the results page. 

Did you hear from Maryland yet? Saw a couple acceptances on the results page. 

Spoke to them on the phone. I was told everyone would hear by the end of this week.

Congrats! I think that program is very new and hasn't broken into the rankings yet.

My one piece of general advice would be to not do any PhD program unless you get funding (i.e., a stipend of at least $15K, plus tuition paid for).

Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of turning down any schools. I have to take what I can get.