UMass Amherst

SaulGoodman

Hi, I received an admit from UMass Amherst CS MS/PhD program. The admit letter mentions a "recruiting faculty". Can someone please tell me if this is supposed to be the PhD advisor or just a point of contact. This isn't among the list of POI I had specified in my application but I was contacted by this faculty sometime ago to ask if I would be interested in working with them. I might not be going if this means the phd advisor.

I just got an admit as well. My recruiting faculty sent me a follow up email stating that I am in no way obligated to work with them be cause I indicated several areas of interest on my app. I have no idea if this extends to everyone or not, but it's very likely that you are not tied to that faculty but they admitted you because they would like to work with you.

Thanks for the info CSallday and congrats on your admit :)

I was wondering how easy or difficult it would be get another advisor. Any thoughts?

Perhaps, if an ex or current student could comment, then that would be really helpful.

I was told you can transfer advisors once you're in the PhD program when I asked a professor there last year (that's my alma mater). That being said, I assume it's like my current institution: you can't just make someone take you. But in general, they're concerned with getting the right fit between student and advisor, and will do what it takes to make that happen. :)