MPH CANADA FALL 2015 APPLICANTS

mphcan2015

Hey Guys,

I just received an email from Charlotte Lombardo, the director for UofT Health Promotion stating that all the spots are filled and that I am now on the waitlist. Anyone else in this position?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew any additional info about McMaster's Global Health program.  It is my understanding from calling the office that the class is not full, but I was wondering if anyone had heard from McMaster this week about additional offers as I know the last round had to accept by June 22.

Thanks!

Just got an official acceptance from U of T Health Promotion! I believe this is the first round for the acceptances since we have a deadline of responding by May27! I'm sure they will be sending out the second round soon! :)

I will be accepting U of T, and rejecting Queens! So for anyone who is still waiting on Queens - there will be a spot opening up!

Anyone else get into Health Promo at U of T? I would love to meet my future classmates :) this has been my top choice for my MPH since I was in my second year so I'm super excited to start in Sept

Hey! Happy to hear you got in! I got accepted literally the day after the first round haha I'm just cruising the forum now to see who else has been accepted!! I'm just as excited as you are :D I'm trying to find some scholarship opporunities but I think they've all passed, do you know some that are available? Also, will you be doing a colloborative program? Looking forward to meeting you and everyone in the Fall!!

For those accepted to U of T's health promotion or epidemiology program can you please share your stats?

GPA last two years: 3.72

Qualitative and Quantitative research experience: independant research project (publishing in process), volunteer at the Schizophrenia Society of Ontario, U of T research assistant, clinical research assistant at Toronto Western Hospital, practicum experience from undergrad at Toronto Rehab, conference presentations

Loads of personal experience with Public Health that came through in my letter of intent

Various scholarships and awards

fortunate to have 2 amazing reference letters

I know with U of T they look for a really well-rounded applicant and they want to see that you really have a passion for public health. I remember stating lots of my goals in what I wanted to do with my career in public health in my letter of intent- I guess it worked out! :) If you have any questions please message me for further info!

Hey Guys,

I just received an email from Charlotte Lombardo, the director for UofT Health Promotion stating that all the spots are filled and that I am now on the waitlist. Anyone else in this position?

I received the same email!

Anyone know much about McGill MscPH vs. U of T MPH Epi? I'm trying to decide between the two.

Depends on what you want out of the degree. The two programs are very different, each with their own goods/bads. You can pm me if you want more info :)

Hey guys!

I just received an e-mail of admission to Queens! However, I had already accepted my offer to Guelph and made all my arrangements. Does anyone have any pro/cons about either to help me make my decision? Thanks!!!

@ringettegoalie, congrats on your acceptance! You've been accepted to my first-choice program!

I've applied to UBCs MSN program during their second application intake (May 2015).  Do you mind sharing how long it took for the School of Nursing (UBC) to make a decision, i.e. # of weeks from the time you submitted your application to the time they recommended you for admission?

Also, just curious, do you have a lot of clinical nursing, research, and/or public health experience? 

Thanks so much! I'm waiting impatiently but keeping my fingers crossed! :)

@StandardDev have you heard back from UBC yet?!

I also applied to UBC Nursing for their May intake, as I missed the December 1st deadline by a week after I had only just found out about the program after the deadline had passed. I received my offer of admission on June 13th. However, I had everything submitted(including all my reference letters) in the first week the application was open. Which was about 4-5 weeks from the times submitted my application to the time they recommended me for admission.

I did only a little research in my undergrad degree although I did do 2 international placements in my nursing degree. I have also worked as a RN at a level 1 trauma centre in high risk L&D/antepartum and emergency as well as at the children's hospital in paediatrics for the past 4 years.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Having a hard time deciding between U of T and Queen's. Any insight?

Both are great programs... but I'm assuming you're debating b/w UT health promo and queens MPH? Queen's MPH certainly provides you with a more well rounded and general public health education that does UT's health promotion (UT tends to focus heavily on the social determinants of health over things like biostats and epi). Queen's also hooks students up with super cool placements, and living in Kingston is cheaper than DT TO if that's something you're taking into consideration. At the end of the day it comes down to what you think is a good fit for you. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time at Queen's and I'm sure wherever you decide to go you'll have fun!

• 4 weeks later...

hey!! anyone who can advise me on which uni to apply to for Fall 2016 mph??

i am a bds graduate from india with one year work exp, gpa of 3.0, an article published in international journal of dental clinics

please help

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, for those of you who have been accepted to U of T's Epidemiology program, do you mind sharing if you took 5 courses in your last year? I want to take 4 courses, however I am a bit worried that it is frowned upon. Any advice would be appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

I am an MBBS doctor from india, I am looking to apply for MPH at University of Waterloo and University of Toronto for fall 2016. Some of the MPH programs ask for a undergraduate stat requirement. Though i have published research papers which included stat based findings and studied basic stats in Community Medicine course during my undergrad. I am not sure whether that will be sufficient to get admission into MPH in epidemiology or any other speciality.

Can anyone suggest any online course that these universities will consider for credit for example from coursera, or athabasca etc?.  So that I can attach it along with my application. or is it necessary that i have to take a course from one of the universities? 

Thanks in advance.

Hi, 

I am an MBBS doctor from india, I am looking to apply for MPH at University of Waterloo and University of Toronto for fall 2016. Some of the MPH programs ask for a undergraduate stat requirement. Though i have published research papers which included stat based findings and studied basic stats in Community Medicine course during my undergrad. I am not sure whether that will be sufficient to get admission into MPH in epidemiology or any other speciality.

Can anyone suggest any online course that these universities will consider for credit for example from coursera, or athabasca etc?.  So that I can attach it along with my application. or is it necessary that i have to take a course from one of the universities? 

Thanks in advance.

Coursera won't be accepted, but an accredited university, that offers online courses, such as Athabasca, will be accepted.  Here is a list of statistics courses offered by accredited Canadian universities through online learning: http://www.cvu-uvc.ca/cgi-bin/cvu/cvucrsinfo.cgi?qn=subject&lang=en&longname=Statistics#X90  (note some courses are only open to those currently in Canada, but some are open to anyone).  In addition to Athabasca, Thompson (TRU) is quite well known in Canada for its online learning.

• 3 weeks later...