Applying again; can I improve chance for funding?

Reinventing

After applying & getting no funding last year, I'm considering applying to schools again this fall.

Is anyone finding strategies that work in getting depts to offer a TA/RA? Knowing the tough market, I tried applying to lower-ranked schools & state schools, but despite my strong GPA, reccs, & GRE scores, still no funding. I think maybe it's more important to apply to schools with faculty that have the most similar research interests--anyone think this strategy will work better? Or is funding just that limited at a lot of schools now?

I think maybe it's more important to apply to schools with faculty that have the most similar research interests--anyone think this strategy will work better?

Yes. Fit is one of the most important factors in deciding acceptance and funding. It's true that funding has been more difficult this year all-around, but if there's a prof backing you up--one who shares your interests and might consider you for an RAship or TAship--then you obviously have better chances than if no one is particularly excited.

Thank you for the feedback. That makes perfect sense.

Early on in my process last year, when I expressed concerns about how to pay for my master's, a lot of people I talked to suggested cheaper schools, and places that might be impressed by my background and want me in the community; but that strategy alone did not work out for me (for a TA/RAship, at least), and I wish I'd focused more on schools whose faculty/research really got me excited (unfortunately, with the schools I applied to, there wasn't a strong match between me with the faculty taking on students).

Also, it seems funding is more available to PhD/EdD-level vs. MA/MS nowadays--like they're two different tracks now, vs. one that possibly builds toward the other?

I can see how trying to be a big fish in a small pond didn't work out for you. Why would you trade off learning and research opportunities for a better chance at acceptance? If you're going to spend years and years in deep stress and financial hardship to master a subject, go to where they have the expertise to support you. You should feel like you're in a place where you belong and contribute, not like you're either too good or not good enough for your program. The whole strategy seems 'penny-wise pound-foolish' to me-- you're saving some application fees and maybe some time by applying to (what appear to be) easier admits, but that's nothing compared to the potential money and time you may lose on the job market if you get a PhD from a lower-ranked school and have letters of reference from someone who never really engaged with your research. If you want to be a professor, nothing short of the best school you can get into with the best matched supervisor you can find will do.

I don't say this to scare you. I'm just trying to motivate you not to sell yourself short. I applied to a couple of schools that were fairly easy admits and low prestige. At the time, I just wanted to do my PhD so badly that I didn't care where. I was desperate to have the chance to do it. Now that I'm on the other side of the admissions process, I can see how flawed and fear-driven my logic was. There's no point in just doing a PhD if you can't do it well. And incidentally, out of the four schools I was accepted to, the highest ranked school with the best placement rate was also the school that offered me the most and most secure funding.

I'm in a field that requires a master's degree to stay in, and I've hit the SOGOTP point. Doint it P-T hasn't proven to be a viable option. Also, it's not the kind of work one should get deep into debt for, as the pay isn't great. I don't know if I want to do a PhD; so you're probably saving me a lot of time by getting me to admit it, even if it might make me a stronger candidate for funding. Yes, it was desperation on my part. I just wanted to get this degree without spending another 10 years paying off college loans; and be able to stay in my field. The advice I've received here has been very helpful. I'm going to go think on it and decide what to do. Thanks again.