Writing samples for grad applications...

cassb

Hi! I'm planning on applying to MA & PhD programs this year but my undergrad degrees are in studio art and linguistics. My only writing sample to offer is my linguistics senior thesis which is probably not really acceptable since it's pretty far from being related to art history. I've taken a number of art history courses but none resulted in any great term papers to consider for writing samples for grad applications. 

My question is, should I write a new paper (my guess is yes)? If so, how should I go about doing this? I just need some basic advice on what sort of paper (length, format, etc.) I should be going for. Also, might a short linguistics thesis be sufficient either way?

Thanks!

I cannot speak to MA programs, but most PhD Art History programs would want a writing sample related to your proposed project.  At least the ones I applied to did.  One POI even said that directly, and that was within a conversation about choosing between two AH papers.

So, I would say that you should write a new paper.  Now you can do this in a few ways.  You could start from scratch on a topic that interests you and you want to continue into later studies.  Or, you can take an AH paper you might already have and expand upon it and refine it.  I would say you should target 15 to 20 pages, but look at specific program requirements where you intend to apply.  It can swing dramatically, though all of mine were within that range.  I know someone who wrote their writing sample after completing his undergrad (also a studio art person, I believe).  He felt that having conducted that level of research on his own initiative and outside of an academic structure actually strengthened his application because it demonstrated his motivation and ability to research!

As for format, I think you should start by reading the literature that is out there in your area.  See what is being said, see how it is being said, and determine how you can fit your own thoughts into that conversation.  Should give you ideas on the format.

Do you know what specific area you want to study, generally or specifically?

if i were you, i would try to adapt my senior thesis to art history somehow. apart from being about art history and good, the most important thing is that your writing sample is sophisticated and shows you can do your own research.

I wouldn't submit a linguistics thesis because it really won't give admissions committees an idea of your knowledge and writing style for art history. Usually departments specify "art history paper," sometimes with a note that another Humanities paper is acceptable, but Linguistics is on the border between humanities and sciences so that becomes even riskier. 

My feeling is that it may be easier to rework/rewrite one of your existing term papers than to start from scratch, but you probably have a better sense of whether that is feasible. Length-wise, you can check the length requirements on the department websites to which you're thinking of applying. In my experience, MA programs often have a max length around 15 pages and PhD programs often have a cap at 20 pages, though some have a 30-page maximum length. I only applied to PhD programs, and since some of the programs had a 20 page max I made my paper slightly shorter than that so that it would be 20 including bibliography, just to stay on the safe side. (Obviously quality is more important than length as long as you don't go over the cap, and I talked to some admissions people who said a 10 page paper would be fine if that's the best example of your writing and you're coming out of undergrad without having written an AH thesis). The basic goal is to demonstrate your writing and research abilities. 

In terms of format/style, you might want to take a look at a book like "A Short Guide to Writing about Art" to get some general guidelines. Of course, reading articles in your field is another obvious way to get a feel for the style/format of discourses in your discipline. And definitely reach out to some of your AH professors for help and guidance. Not only will they be a great resource for helping you with refining something into a viable writing sample, but it will also open the door for a dialogue about grad school and your interests. You'll definitely need recommendations from AH professors. 

I cannot speak to MA programs, but most PhD Art History programs would want a writing sample related to your proposed project.  At least the ones I applied to did.  One POI even said that directly, and that was within a conversation about choosing between two AH papers.

I was told by all my advisers that the topic was irrelevant as long it was a well-written AH paper, but I'm sure it varies by school/dept/POI preference. The biggest refrain I heard in asking what kind of paper to submit was "whatever you consider to be your best work." In any case, hopefully the topic you choose is something to which you don't mind dedicating many hours. 

I was told by all my advisers that the topic was irrelevant as long it was a well-written AH paper, but I'm sure it varies by school/dept/POI preference. The biggest refrain I heard in asking what kind of paper to submit was "whatever you consider to be your best work." In any case, hopefully the topic you choose is something to which you don't mind dedicating many hours. 

I second that bolded part. This is very important.

Thank you all for your advice! I'll definitely be writing a new paper. I'm actually excited about doing research and writing too, which I'm taking as a sign that I'm making the right choice in going back to school haha. Right now I'm very interested in the history of costume, but also the history of feminist art. My linguistics thesis was on a feminist topic as well, so it's possible that I can somehow incorporate some of the ideas from that research. We shall see. 

Thank you again!!!

I've only applied to MA programs (I didn't major in AH and want a stronger foundation before PhD), but I believe that the top programs are similarly looking for original research and and a grounded approach. I found a topic for a new paper by volunteering at a museum (I also have a museum day job, but happened to be working on a side project elsewhere).  You'll find so many readily available, unexplored topics and objects in the museum world.  I forged relationships with curators at both museums, which let to invaluable research advice and a fantastic set of editors.  

It's really difficult to start from scratch without a framework, so make sure you give yourself lots of time to research, edit and gain advise.  I will say that I learned quite a bit about independent research throughout, and responses so far from schools and POI's has been very positive to this tactic. If you have the opportunity to intern or volunteer somewhere, this might be one way to go about it!  Good luck.

Edited by napoleon87

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

I am an international student. I am about to apply for Phd in Linguistics directly from my bachelor degree. I don't have my own research papers.  What should I write in the writing sample? Undergraduate thesis is something I hesitate to add, because it is the translation of the book.

Thank you.