My GRE scores are getting in the way of my future. How can I conquer this monster?

I have paid over $6000 for the GRE. I used Manhattan Prep's $1000 online course, purchased over 30 hours of private tutoring at $225/hr, 10 books of the MP curriculum, and countless flashcards. I also used Magoosh and studied at least 4 hours every day. I brought flash cards with me everywhere I went, but come test day, these were my abysmally abysmal scores:

Verbal: 153

Quantitative: 146

Analytical Writing: 5.5

I went through hell for this exam, but on test day, it's like everything I studied was not on the test. I ended up in the hospital twice because of the GRE. It gives me severe anxiety; the day before the exam, I blacked out and had almost three panic attacks.

I also tried to get testing accommodations for extra time, but ETS is comprised of some of the meanest people who have no compassion for psychological impairments. 

I am planning on traveling to France this summer for a vacation, and I would be willing to take the paper-based version of the GRE there, if need be. I seriously don't know what else to do about this exam. It is standing in the way of me and my PhD admission.

What can I do? 

I feel the same way. Granted, I have not spent as much time studying as you; however, I have taken the test twice, studied as much as I could, and still ended up with mediocre scores. I really feel like there is a glass ceiling for me with the GRE. I don't know what the answer is. 

Edited by iwontbelyeveit

First of all, I'm hoping that the $1000 you paid for Manhattan prep included a "improved score guarantee" clause. I know that Princeton Review has that, so if your scores are unsatisfactory after going through their program, you can retake for free. That might be something to look into so that you won't have to pay as much for this new round of test prep that you're about to undergo.

As for your psychological issues, have you sought treatment? Blacking out and being hospitalized because of test anxiety is not something that any prep program can or should handle. Maybe seek therapy and find medication that might help you approach the test in a focused and calm manner. 

First of all, I'm hoping that the $1000 you paid for Manhattan prep included a "improved score guarantee" clause. I know that Princeton Review has that, so if your scores are unsatisfactory after going through their program, you can retake for free. That might be something to look into so that you won't have to pay as much for this new round of test prep that you're about to undergo.

As for your psychological issues, have you sought treatment? Blacking out and being hospitalized because of test anxiety is not something that any prep program can or should handle. Maybe seek therapy and find medication that might help you approach the test in a focused and calm manner. 

They definitely won't give me a refund, but perhaps I can try asking them for a retake policy. I've definitely been trying to get a hold on my anxiety. I'm on medication and seeing a therapist (I'm a trauma survivor). This exam just gives me the bloody heebie jeebies. 

Youngcharlie, have you talked to any of your professors about your application? They might be able to give you some specific feedback on the strengths and weaknesses of your specific application.

Hi, ProfLorax. Yes, I spoke to my comp lit and anthro professors. They looked over my personal statement, wrote me strong letters, provided me feedback on my writing sample, etc. It's my GRE that sucks. :( 

They definitely won't give me a refund, but perhaps I can try asking them for a retake policy. I've definitely been trying to get a hold on my anxiety. I'm on medication and seeing a therapist (I'm a trauma survivor). This exam just gives me the bloody heebie jeebies. 

I'd definitely find the retake policy. Since you said that most of what you studied didn't appear on the test, I'll offer an unrelated piece of advice that I've offered in other GRE threads: maybe look into studying some rudimentary Latin. Knowing common prefixes, suffixes, and recognizable etymological origins can help you to puzzle out and "study widely" for vocabulary and reading comprehension questions that might otherwise make you panic or stump you. 

Obviously, not saying you should learn how to translate all of Cicero but some rudimentary knowledge may help.

I seriously doubt your GRE scores are what's keeping you out of schools. Focus on your writing sample and your statement of purpose. 

I don't know about this. Obviously WS and SOP are far more important pieces of the puzzle but what I've noticed this cycle has been how quantitative aspects of one's app seem to make the difference between acceptance/wait list and wait list/rejection (not to mention funding). Not at all negligible, when it comes down it. 

If OP has the time to re-study and re-take, I'd say go for it.

I know this is something you don't want to hear, but Its more important to be healthy than anything else. I am glad you are getting help: but what happens when you have to take qualifying exams and orals ? Those are infinitely more stressful than the GRE, not just because they are difficult, but also because they are in front of your peers(graduate committee).  And after that, searching for a job? And once you get a job, getting tenure... and so and so forth. Academia is a stressful place, because not only do you have to perform, but better than others. All the time. You have to like doing that sorta thing.

I think if you have invested that kind of money and time into the GRE, and have scored so low, you either 1) did not take advantage of the resources you purchased or 2) are not able to get a high GRE score. I suspect your anxiety is the biggest reason for your score, and it might be worth training your mind, not for the GRE, but for stressful situations.

You might take this as a joke, but what about playing videogames with a timed element? Getting into the routine of doing things under a time restriction, and sticking to it might help. Once the GRE rolls around, and your used to it, maybe you won't black out. 

Do your LOR writers know about your actual condition? Maybe they can send emails to program coordinators that they are connected to and help get your application reviewed. Personally, I think it might be right to question you as a student, even if it is known: what evidence do they have that you wont black out during quals? You might not be physically able to handle it.... I wanted to be an NBA player, but i'm 5 5. Sometimes life is unfair.

Edited by GeoDUDE!

I seriously doubt your GRE scores are what's keeping you out of schools. Focus on your writing sample and your statement of purpose. 

Actually, they could be. My university has a minimum required score of 300 and the graduate college has rejected applicants recommended by departments for low GRE scores.

That said, to the OP, to put it bluntly I don't think graduate school is for you unless you can get your anxiety under control. Graduate school is very stressful and if the GRE hospitalizes you I'd hate to see what grad school does.

I know this is something you don't want to hear, but Its more important to be healthy than anything else. I am glad you are getting help: but what happens when you have to take qualifying exams and orals ? Those are infinitely more stressful than the GRE, not just because they are difficult, but also because they are in front of your peers(graduate committee).  And after that, searching for a job? And once you get a job, getting tenure... and so and so forth. Academia is a stressful place, because not only do you have to perform, but better than others. All the time. You have to like doing that sorta thing.

I think if you have invested that kind of money and time into the GRE, and have scored so low, you either 1) did not take advantage of the resources you purchased or 2) are not able to get a high GRE score. I suspect your anxiety is the biggest reason for your score, and it might be worth training your mind, not for the GRE, but for stressful situations.

You might take this as a joke, but what about playing videogames with a timed element? Getting into the routine of doing things under a time restriction, and sticking to it might help. Once the GRE rolls around, and your used to it, maybe you won't black out. 

Do your LOR writers know about your actual condition? Maybe they can send emails to program coordinators that they are connected to and help get your application reviewed. Personally, I think it might be right to question you as a student, even if it is known: what evidence do they have that you wont black out during quals? You might not be physically able to handle it.... I wanted to be an NBA player, but i'm 5 5. Sometimes life is unfair.

Thank you. Practicing the timing matter might help me. 

Actually, they could be. My university has a minimum required score of 300 and the graduate college has rejected applicants recommended by departments for low GRE scores.

That said, to the OP, to put it bluntly I don't think graduate school is for you unless you can get your anxiety under control. Graduate school is very stressful and if the GRE hospitalizes you I'd hate to see what grad school does.

Well, I'm saying this partly because I know he tried to get into a comparative lit phd program with a writing sample on apartheid 

I'm trying to. Really I am. Sometimes I wish it were a limp or diabetes than anxiety. 

I'm really uncomfortable with the suggestion that some people can't "hack" grad school because of a disability. People with anxiety, autism, panic attacks, depression, and PTSD make important contributions to academia all the time. 

I do agree that you, youngcharlie, need to prioritize your health above all else. Does ETS offer accommodations for documented disabilities? You may want to look into that. Also, what did your professors say about your GRE scores? Did they offer any strategies for how to overcome them in your application?

ETA: Let's not wish we had another disability in place of our own. 

I'm really uncomfortable with the suggestion that some people can't "hack" grad school because of a disability. People with anxiety, autism, panic attacks, depression, and PTSD make important contributions to academia all the time. 

I do agree that you, youngcharlie, need to prioritize your health above all else. Does ETS offer accommodations for documented disabilities? You may want to look into that. Also, what did your professors say about your GRE scores? Did they offer any strategies for how to overcome them in your application?

ETA: Let's not wish we had another disability in place of our own. 

You are awesome, friend. Thank you very much. :)

It makes me sad when people think that I'm not cut out for academia because of the childhood I had. I didn't ask to have psychological issues. That's like saying to a blind person, "Maybe you're not cut out for walking." 

But I am going to get a hold on this terrible beast consuming me. Anxiety hurts really bad. 

I'd definitely find the retake policy. Since you said that most of what you studied didn't appear on the test, I'll offer an unrelated piece of advice that I've offered in other GRE threads: maybe look into studying some rudimentary Latin. Knowing common prefixes, suffixes, and recognizable etymological origins can help you to puzzle out and "study widely" for vocabulary and reading comprehension questions that might otherwise make you panic or stump you. 

Obviously, not saying you should learn how to translate all of Cicero but some rudimentary knowledge may help.

I don't know about this. Obviously WS and SOP are far more important pieces of the puzzle but what I've noticed this cycle has been how quantitative aspects of one's app seem to make the difference between acceptance/wait list and wait list/rejection (not to mention funding). Not at all negligible, when it comes down it. 

If OP has the time to re-study and re-take, I'd say go for it.

Well, yeah, retake it, but don't stress about it because it's far from the most important part of the application in my experience. But my GRE scores kinda suck... but I think it's more likely my school that's keeping me out of programs like UVa. 

Edited by CarolineKS

Extended time and extra breaks may be helpful accommodations if you choose to retake. I'm not advocating that you do, but you should know all the options.

https://www.ets.org/disabilities/test_takers/accommodations/

I've tried SO hard to get accommodations last summer. I'm going to see my doctor next week and ask her to write me a very detailed letter to ETS with my hospitalization records. 

Can I just say that GRE scores are REALLY not the most important thing?

I say this (and really don't want to sound like I'm bragging): but my quantitative and analytical scores were lower than yours, and my verbal only a little higher, and I got into my two top choice schools.

So fit, SOP, writing sample and recommendations tell a school way more about you than your GRE scores.

But yeah... everything does cost $$$, and it sucks.

Edited by SubmarineReflection

I would look into getting some anti-anxiety pills to pop before the exam. It may sound like the easy way out (or at least an easy way to attempt to reduce anxiety), but I think it could help. I really like the timed video game idea on the previous page as well.

My brother was just 'diagnosed' with acute exam-induced performance anxiety (sounds like what you have). He was prescribed some propranolol, and he said he felt pretty good going into his most recent exam after taking a couple.

Best of luck.

I've felt the same way for a long time, although perhaps not quite as severely. I took the GRE only once, and part of the reason I applied in this season was to make sure I wouldn't have to re-take it in the future. 

My situation is this -- I know I very likely could have gotten in to programs in political science etc, some of which would have been great given my research focus. But on the other hand, I've chosen to see the GRE as an indication of something else. My problem is the quant part, and maybe that tells me I shouldn't be doing quant-heavy programs given what my strengths and weaknesses are. Instead, this time around, I opted for applying to 50% history programs and 50% political science-ish ones. Not surprisingly, the polsci ones didn't work out while one really good program in history did. I do think this is where my heart really is and I am thrilled about attending, and though I do feel slightly bitter that the GRE may have narrowed my choices, I choose to see it as help rather than anything else. I know nothing about your background or focus but how narrowly are you applying? I applied to 10 places -- got into two so far, waiting on three (two of which I assume I didn't get into) and rejected from the rest. It's also a matter of just increasing the probability of admission, and sometimes, even a program you "should" be getting into can't take you for reasons other than your GRE. 

Don't let it stop you from achieving what you want, it really doesn't have to.