UChicago 2015

expandyourmind

Hey everyone! Has anyone heard back from Graduate Housing yet? I fear I may have been a bit too specific in my housing requests, and am a bit afraid they will just say that nothing has become available that is in line with my preferences... I requested a beginning of August move-in.
I have no idea how specific one should be in these preferences, does anyone here? And did anyone ask whether it is possible to move from one Grad Housing to another during their studies? I might like to move if my spouse joins me in Chicago.

They respond to your request about a month before your intended move-in date, so I'd wait a few more days.

I'm sure it's possible to move into another grad housing during your studies. I did see something about that somewhere, but I can't look it up right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Has anyone heard back from Graduate Housing yet? I fear I may have been a bit too specific in my housing requests, and am a bit afraid they will just say that nothing has become available that is in line with my preferences... I requested a beginning of August move-in.

I have no idea how specific one should be in these preferences, does anyone here? And did anyone ask whether it is possible to move from one Grad Housing to another during their studies? I might like to move if my spouse joins me in Chicago.

You can only move to another apartment after your 12 month lease expires, by submitting a transfer request. They don't make this particularly clear until you have already signed your lease - it wasn't on any of my paperwork, they only explained it once I got to the point of needing a transfer due to my spouse moving to Chicago to be with me. So we are moving out. Grad housing is decent enough, but you wont necessarily get the kind of apartment you want, and they are in the process of selling off a ton of the buildings so who knows what it will be like once external property companies (likely the dreaded, infamous MAC) buy up.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! This question may be dumb, but I am going to ask it anyway because I want to get my facts straight.

My letter of admission mentioned that I would receive 'health care coverage' by the University. Yet, there is no mention anywhere in the current emails I am getting about U-SHIP that implies that the university will pay the quarterly $1144 fee for U-SHIP. Times four times a minimum of 5 years for my program, this little misunderstanding might cost me a bit more than I had anticipated. I am aware that all students must pay the student life fee, but that isn't all that much per year.

Does anybody know what the 'health care coverage' in the letter might have meant?

I also was a bit shocked when I first got the first U-SHIP email, so I went to back to re-read the acceptance letter and make sure I had that.

I come from another graduate program (and university) that also had free the 'health coverage' stipulation in the acceptance package. Such coverage was done through that university's equivalent of U-SHIP (and named along the same lines). My previous university also listed the price of the insurance but I never paid for it. Given my experience with my previous program (and the fact that U of C is forcing you to take U-SHIP unless you already have active medical coverage to opt-out), I think the department/division/school will pay the listed cost for U-SHIP. U-SHIP is basically their 'health coverage.' 

If your acceptance letter covers health insurance then your tuition bill will show USHIP at full price, with a 100% reduction. You never end up out of pocket, but it's worth logging on to check you have been automatically enrolled (follow email links).

Thanks everyone! I double-checked with the dean of students as well, and U-SHip is indeed paid for my UChicago. Hooray!

Can anybody here offer advice on the best/cheapest/fastest internet provider?
Also, my grad housing lease says I have to take care of electric and cooking gas. I am used to having to set up these utilities myself upon move in. Has anybody done this yet? Advice on those things (good companies, 1 year contracts, no credit checks etc)?

thanks so much!