MA Decisions

Since the main Decisions thread is primarily geared towards PhD decisions, I thought I'd start one for MA decisions (since it seems to me that the factors under consideration are somewhat different).

I've been accepted to 4 MA programs so far (I initially applied to PhD programs at 3 of these schools). 3 of these MA programs are funded, so I've got a difficult decision ahead of me!

My eventual goal is, of course, to get into a strong PhD program, so I'm looking for advice from those of you who have been here before or who are in the same boat!

Factors I will consider are:

• Funding vs. cost of living
  • Faculty specializations & fit
  • Available resources (eg. libraries, conference funding)
  • Department feel
  • Language requirement?
  • Thesis/no thesis?
  • Professional development opportunities/training
  • Location (which city, but also which country -- one of my programs is Canadian)
  • School ranking

Any other factors I should really keep in mind? I'd also be grateful for advice about the relative importance of the things listed, or any other tips to keep in mind when evaluating programs. Thanks!

For me it's really about funding and location. Everything else I considered when I was deciding which programs to apply to.

Good point. I like my decisions to be very, very simple. In the end, I want to say "I chose this program because I liked the people, liked the placement, and liked the location."

I'm crunching numbers right now. Three programs have accepted/funded me, and pending final review (because I'm not a math person) these programs come within $500 of each other. Yay! Cost factor=thrown away.

Factors for me:

--whether the MA program feeds into the PhD program (one DGS told me explicitly that she wanted me to stay for the PhD)

--if I become a PhD student, what is the placement rate? (for me, more important than ranking)

--program fit

--livability of location (urban? rural? crime rates? nearby apartments? hobbies?)

Good point. I like my decisions to be very, very simple. In the end, I want to say "I chose this program because I liked the people, liked the placement, and liked the location."

I'm crunching numbers right now. Three programs have accepted/funded me, and pending final review (because I'm not a math person) these programs come within $500 of each other. Yay! Cost factor=thrown away.

Factors for me:

--whether the MA program feeds into the PhD program (one DGS told me explicitly that she wanted me to stay for the PhD)

--if I become a PhD student, what is the placement rate? (for me, more important than ranking)

--program fit

--livability of location (urban? rural? crime rates? nearby apartments? hobbies?)

For me it's really funding, so I'm almost hoping one school gives me a ton of funding so I can say, "Okay, I'll go there!" haha, I have only heard from two schools so far and haven't received any aid information, though.

I think both of the MA programs I applied to are unranked but they boast good placement. The only information I could find in that regard was "Recent graduates have gone on to Rutgers, Tufts, etc. etc." instead of any concrete statistics. Is there some way to get more specific information, or is that what's generally available? 

My biggest factors are placement and funding.

For me it's really funding, so I'm almost hoping one school gives me a ton of funding so I can say, "Okay, I'll go there!" haha, I have only heard from two schools so far and haven't received any aid information, though.

I'm sure you know this, but please please please check tuition fees for 2 fall semesters, 2 spring semesters, and 1 summer semester. One university gave me about 5k more funding than the others, but the fees completely cancelled out the extra money. Just something to keep in mind.

I think both of the MA programs I applied to are unranked but they boast good placement. The only information I could find in that regard was "Recent graduates have gone on to Rutgers, Tufts, etc. etc." instead of any concrete statistics. Is there some way to get more specific information, or is that what's generally available? 

My biggest factors are placement and funding.

pannpann, I would email the department head. Ask about the size of the cohort, and how many graduates went to what specific schools. I don't think this would be a privacy issue, since you're not asking for actual names. 

Hurrah for MAs! I'm in the same boat as you, erosanddust. So far I've received funding/teaching assistantships at 5 programs, and I'm completely unsure of how to weigh the offers. You've definitely brought up good issues to consider. 

My great-aunt's a prof at Boston University and we were talking today about the decision-making process, and she reminded me that while teaching experience is great, having support for research and publication is huge at the MA level, especially if we're trying to pursue doctoral programs later. Just another thing to add to the list:)

Hurrah for MAs! I'm in the same boat as you, erosanddust. So far I've received funding/teaching assistantships at 5 programs, and I'm completely unsure of how to weigh the offers. You've definitely brought up good issues to consider. 

My great-aunt's a prof at Boston University and we were talking today about the decision-making process, and she reminded me that while teaching experience is great, having support for research and publication is huge at the MA level, especially if we're trying to pursue doctoral programs later. Just another thing to add to the list:)

Yesssss.

I mentioned my research schedule for writing/trying to publish to a professor at a campus visit, and the professor looked at me like I was insane. 

Then the professor said carefully, "we prefer to have our MA students gain... mastery of the subject before they start publishing." 

I think the publication issue varies widely according to student ability. Some are ready, some aren't. That said, I don't think readiness to publish at the early MA level is necessarily a precursor to success. Some people fizzle. Some have hit the peak of their abilities, and some keep excelling. But some who weren't ready when they started completely transform themselves and end up on top. All this to say, in a round about way, don't compare yourself to your buddies. Also, don't believe people who brag about how fab their writing is until you read it. Also, if you do want to publish at the MA level don't send your work out to a top journal unless your mentor has assured you it's ready. Otherwise, you might get crushed by the rejection and reader's notes.

You're welcome for all the unsolicited ramblings ;)

Edited by CarolineKS

I've been changing my mind at least ten times per day thinking about this, and I'm sure that my parents/friends/alter egos are sick of hearing me deliberate points again and again and again. But between School A, School B, and School C, I think I made a decision!

1. Schools A and C only have about 3 faculty members overseeing their Rhet/Comp program. What if one retires, goes on sabbatical, or doesn't like me? 

2. Schools A and C have faculty who were last on the job market in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Their degrees are from solid programs, but they might not have experience with the current job market or PhD admissions process.

3. School B has a younger program, but their professors are from the top Rhet/Comp schools in the country. (I rank Rhet/Comp PhD programs by how many of that program's graduates are teaching in other Rhet/Comp PhD programs.)

4. School B has 9 faculty members in my field. That means politics, but I don't mind playing those.

My only stipulation? Finding housing for 1)$700 a month and 2) less than an hour commute. 

How are all y'all making decisions?