Pos-bac research NIH PREP programs

TenaciousBushLeaper

Thanks! & Oh right, yea, but the number of people who apply should be considerably lower. At any rate, the one program that I applied to, did email me 3 times today about my application (making sure I harassed my recommenders to submit their letters on time) so maybe that says something good about my chances xD? 

I just wish there were more people on here who've been part of this process, one can only get so much information from the website(s)

so the same day you posted this I decided  to look into the program and apply to it. Just wanted to know which location you applied to (I applied to Mt Sinai)? If you have received word from the program yet? If not do you know around when we should hear back from them? Feel free to PM if you do not want to post on this thread. Thanks!

so the same day you posted this I decided  to look into the program and apply to it. Just wanted to know which location you applied to (I applied to Mt Sinai)? If you have received word from the program yet? If not do you know around when we should hear back from them? Feel free to PM if you do not want to post on this thread. Thanks!

I applied to UPenn, I've only received emails from them telling me they've received my completed application and the other emails I previously mentioned. I think most programs get back to their applicants by April, UPenn states it will inform applicants of admissions in March. 

I applied to UPenn, I've only received emails from them telling me they've received my completed application and the other emails I previously mentioned. I think most programs get back to their applicants by April, UPenn states it will inform applicants of admissions in March. 

Thanks for the info and good luck! :-)

Thanks for the info and good luck! :-)

Like wise, good luck! 

UPDATE:  not really much of an update but, a CV/Resume was not requested on the application yet, today I was contacted, the program asked for a CV/Resume. I'm sure I'm over thinking this but either it means, 1. they forgot to add this to their application or 2. I'm a borderline candidate and they wanted more information. 

Also, question the program you mentioned, I checked out the website and it looks like they are more bio heavy(compared to some other programs), is a more bio based area, one of your areas of interest?  

Edited by TenaciousBushLeaper

Like wise, good luck! 

UPDATE:  not really much of an update but, a CV/Resume was not requested on the application yet, today I was contacted, the program asked for a CV/Resume. I'm sure I'm over thinking this but either it means, 1. they forgot to add this to their application or 2. I'm a borderline candidate and they wanted more information. 

Based on the previous emails they sent you plus this request I think that they are really interested in you... If they were not interested based on the information you provided in yr app then they wouldn't have asked for more of your information...How exciting!... Hope I'm right... keep us updated!

P.s. no word back on my end quite yet  :(

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I do not know if any of you are still interested in the topic of PREP programs, but if you are, then I am in one right now. I am in the cognitive psychology department right now. I am almost done with my PREP year. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me or whatever you'd like :)

Hey guys,

I do not know if any of you are still interested in the topic of PREP programs, but if you are, then I am in one right now. I am in the cognitive psychology department right now. I am almost done with my PREP year. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me or whatever you'd like :)

Curious to know if you have any insight on the decision making process for admissions. 

Curious to know if you have any insight on the decision making process for admissions. 

I really sort don't because I wasn't actually accepted. I just asked to be in it and they let me hahaha.

At my school, I think you know by early May. They get a lot of applicants (I cannot remember the number my program director told me of the top of my head), and they are about 15 spots (it varies, of course, depending on funds). So it is competitive, but they'll be looking mostly at letters of recommendation and research experience/interest ...but also career goals. Not everyone has taken the GRE so they don't care and you're GPA doesn't haven't to be super high, just not super low (so if you have a 3.3 that is okay). What helps the most is talking to professors who you can work with. Most things/decisions depends on your future professor for the PREP.

Oh, but it you're applying to the NIH IRTA ...then that is a whole different ballgame in terms of being accepted ...the application process is pretty complicated and I barely know anything about it. I decided to not apply to that program out of utter confusion.

I really sort don't because I wasn't actually accepted. I just asked to be in it and they let me hahaha.

At my school, I think you know by early May. They get a lot of applicants (I cannot remember the number my program director told me of the top of my head), and they are about 15 spots (it varies, of course, depending on funds). So it is competitive, but they'll be looking mostly at letters of recommendation and research experience/interest ...but also career goals. Not everyone has taken the GRE so they don't care and you're GPA doesn't haven't to be super high, just not super low (so if you have a 3.3 that is okay). What helps the most is talking to professors who you can work with. Most things/decisions depends on your future professor for the PREP.

Well that's good to hear. I had assumed I wasn't chosen on the basis of not hearing from anyone from the PREP program.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I applied and it really depends on the area you want to study. I expressed my interest in neuropsychology and because it's a biomedical science focused program, seeing the word psychology threw them off. I literally had to explain what neuropsychology was and how it was relevant to the programs in my interviews. Ultimately, I did not get accepted because they didn't think it was the best "fit" for my field  <_<

Btw I interviewed with UAB and UNC Chapel Hill

I applied and it really depends on the area you want to study. I expressed my interest in neuropsychology and because it's a biomedical science focused program, seeing the word psychology threw them off. I literally had to explain what neuropsychology was and how it was relevant to the programs in my interviews. Ultimately, I did not get accepted because they didn't think it was the best "fit" for my field  <_<

Btw I interviewed with UAB and UNC Chapel Hill

Yep, that was a big worry for me. It's why I didn't think I would even WANT to apply, at all, to any PREPs. There was nothing psychological related, and if there was, it was neuroscience/neurobiology (so they don't like hearing the word "psychology" even if it's neuropsycholgy).

If you do not mind, what are your research interests?

I advise anyone honestly really wanting to get into grad school for clinical psych/neuropsych/cog psych/developmental psych to apply to UMASS, Hot Metal Bridge (University of Pittsburgh), ...and maybe Yale (I am not sure about Yale, but I see, on the website, that one person who interned there was a psychology person while the rest were biology or biochem & molecular people). These three PREP programs are more likely to accept you (and hopefully others in the future will too).

I think it's a good idea if others can post PREP programs that will let people do research that isn't neatly in the STEM category.

Edited by ravyn

Yep, that was a big worry for me. It's why I didn't think I would even WANT to apply, at all, to any PREPs. There was nothing psychological related, and if there was, it was neuroscience/neurobiology (so they don't like hearing the word "psychology" even if it's neuropsycholgy).

If you do not mind, what are your research interests?

I advise anyone honestly really wanting to get into grad school for clinical psych/neuropsych/cog psych/developmental psych to apply to UMASS, Hot Metal Bridge (University of Pittsburgh), ...and maybe Yale (I am not sure about Yale, but I see, on the website, that one person who interned there was a psychology person while the rest were biology or biochem & molecular people). These three PREP programs are more likely to accept you (and hopefully others in the future will too).

I think it's a good idea if others can post PREP programs that will let people do research that isn't neatly in the STEM category.

I can only speak for UPenn, as the program director explicitly told me in person that they are just fine with psychology, so long as it isn't clinical psychology. 

As for Yale, I would advise Psychology majors to not apply to that PREP program unless they've had the standard science courses (chem, physics, calc, bio), both program directors for the PREP program at Yale have told me they will more likely than not, not consider applicants who don't have these prerequisites (because they admitted a psych major who didn't have the pre reqs and that person did not do well in the program)