Decision Assistance: A Thread for Those Who Just Can't Choose```

pcato1

So I know Grad Cafe already has a section devoted entirely to decisions, but if one goes and looks s/he'll find a long list of threads/topics filled with people asking whether they should choose Mechanical Engineering Program X or. Engineering Program Y, or wondering how to get U. of X's English Department to increase their stipend, and so on.

I thought it might be helpful (now that most decisions are out). For us to start a forum dedicated to decisions within our own field so that the help/advice given is more pertinent/relevant. I know I could certainly use help/advice (see below) now that I've heard back from all 13 of my programs and am down to choosing amongst the few I got into....

My (Lucky/Good?) Problem/Difficult Choice:

I migrated to Religious Studies as a discipline as far back as undergrad because philosophy didn't engage the study of ideas in the holistic, interdisciplinary manner that I thought it should, and RS seemed to allow that. After deciding to take a year off from undergrad I applied this past application season with hopes of finding a program somewhere that would appreciate my project and allow me to tackle the topic using multiple methodologies. I ended up being 6/13, and though all look to be good offers I'm stuck between two: 

• Program #1 - Interdisciplinary Program
    • Pros
      • Long time dream school
      • Would give me access to a network of schools/scholars/libraries/resources in the area that all pertain to my interests
      • Highly Prestigious/Known Worldwide
      • Large school with great diversity
    • Cons
      • Long Time to Completion (one guy I know there was there for a decade!)
      • COLD
      • Stipend is much less than Program #2 (yet still enough to cover cost of living
  • Program #2 - Phil. of Religion Program
    • Pros
      • Closer to home (I'm still young and will miss my mom haha)
      • Offering me their "most prestigious" internal fellowship with much larger stipend than Program #1
      • At the moment is a PERFECT Fit for the project I proposed in my SOP (although I know my interests will shift over time)
    • Cons
      • Might not allow for the same level of interdisciplinarity as Program #1 (this is a BIG concern for me)
      • School is known for it's excellence in Undergrad preparation and its within the past decade and a half or so that it's really begun investing in graduate education (Note: that the Rel. Studies program is top of NRC regardless)
      • Lack of Diversity

Questions

1. I've read in some articles that students from Interdisciplinary programs have trouble getting placed because they can't market themselves as being suitable from a specific discipline/department. Is this true?
  2. Do Internal Fellowships carry weight outside of the institution or are they just used lure applicants away from rival programs?
  3. I'll be visiting both of these programs within the next few weeks – are there any questions I should ask that might help me sort out the choices better?

I have been really humbled by the whole experience – I know this is a "good" problem to have, and I really don't mean to sound unappreciative – this is all just very overwhelming to me: I'm only 24, no one in my family or family's friends have pursued a career in Academia, and the messages I'm hearing have left me all the more confused. I've also received good offers from other programs and would like to make my decision ASAP so that my offers may be passed on to other deserving applicants.

Thanks a lot!

A couple quick things....

1. LISTEN TO YOUR GUT!  Go with the program that you find yourself internally smiling about more than the other.  

2. I have an Interdisciplinary Masters, and found it difficult to find PhD programs that took me seriously just at that level, even though I am very field specific. It suited me well for my diverse research at the time, but MANY of my faculty were very adamant about ensuring I DID NOT do an Interdisciplinary PhD.  Hiring is TOUGH after. Very Tough.  Consider that battle.  If you are good with it, and you feel the other factors of the program can mitigate the defined degree after the fact, than go for it if it is really what you want.  But yes, there are horror stories about hiring.  You will need to ensure your published research is clearly able to be categorized with where/what you want to work in later.  Work backwards...get an idea of what you want to do AFTER your PhD, and then plan your program around fitting that goal.  If you want to work at a small liberal arts college with loosely defined course parameters, such as my alma mater Evergreen, it might work.  But if you know you want to be in an RS or Philosophy department, then do some research on where and what those faculty got their degrees in.  Read some CVs.  

3.  Yes, internal fellowships weigh outside the program.  Others will see that you are worthy of the award, or capable of securing the grant/fellowship, which will give you a level of respectiveness on your CV.  It can also help you secure other awards... the old adage that once you get funding, you can get more funding, is true.

Edit PS:  1. congrats on such an amazing return on apps!  and #2, if I were you, unless your gut is telling you otherwise, I would go with your second program listed.  It seems to have a lot more 'pros' than the other one.  It may not be as diverse, etc, but you can make your research and experience whatever you want it to be.  You are not limited by the brick and mortar of the institution itself.  If you need more diversity in your research OR your social life, you can find it. Same with interdisciplinarity.  You can always do joint projects with students at other institutions...which would look good on your conferences and publications!  3. A visit will do wonders to this process.

Edited by ritapita

2. I have an Interdisciplinary Masters, and found it difficult to find PhD programs that took me seriously just at that level, even though I am very field specific. It suited me well for my diverse research at the time, but MANY of my faculty were very adamant about ensuring I DID NOT do an Interdisciplinary PhD.  Hiring is TOUGH after. Very Tough.  Consider that battle.  If you are good with it, and you feel the other factors of the program can mitigate the defined degree after the fact, than go for it if it is really what you want. 

Can you expand on this? What disciplines comprise your interdisciplinary Master's?

The reason I ask is because I am trying to decide between the well-known US divinity schools and doing interdisciplinary work in science and religion at Edinburgh, Oxford, or Boston University.

• At the moment is a PERFECT Fit for the project I proposed in my SOP (although I know my interests will shift over time)

Questions

1. I've read in some articles that students from Interdisciplinary programs have trouble getting placed because they can't market themselves as being suitable from a specific discipline/department. Is this true?

Seems like option #2 would be best for the reason stated above and for the better financial package. Are these M* programs?

Also, if it's not too much trouble, could you provide link(s) to the articles you're talking about?

Also, if it's not too much trouble, could you provide link(s) to the articles you're talking about?

Hey Tsgriffey,

Here's one of them:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/10/31/study-finds-phds-who-write-interdisciplinary-dissertations-earn-less

I also just saw stuff posted around GradCafe and such.

I have a similiar problem: my field is modern Jewish philosophy and I'm debating now between NEJS at Brandeis and GDRS at BU.

Both offer almost the same 5-year scholarship. Both programs have the same reputation (as far as I know),

I feel like BU has better courses, while Brandeis is much more pleasent place to study (and my POI there was extremely nice).

I can write down the pros and cons all day long... maybe someone who knows more than me on these schools has some advice?

Thanks!

I have a similiar problem: my field is modern Jewish philosophy and I'm debating now between NEJS at Brandeis and GDRS at BU.

Both offer almost the same 5-year scholarship. Both programs have the same reputation (as far as I know),

I feel like BU has better courses, while Brandeis is much more pleasent place to study (and my POI there was extremely nice).

I can write down the pros and cons all day long... maybe someone who knows more than me on these schools has some advice?

Thanks!

Have you checked out BU's placement record? Edited by colormelovely

• 2 weeks later...

I've got quite the decision to make, so I figured I'd revive this thread. 

My fiancee and I are both applying to grad schools (two body problem) and it's come down to Dayton and Vanderbilt for us. Both schools offer our programs (Higher Education Administration and MTS) and are not a big move for us. The decision is really coming down to affordability and quality of the programs. My two main interests are Hispanic church studies and ecumenism. I would like to eventually work in Hispanic church ministry, campus ministry, or teach. I could even see myself continuing on to a PhD but at this point it's not a goal. Also, I am Catholic as is Dayton if you are not aware.

So here is where things get tricky: I have been offered a GA from Dayton that covers tuition, housing and a stipend, a total value of around $25K. However, they have given me a deadline of this Friday to give an answer. Furthermore, I have yet to hear back on a decision from Vanderbilt. I have been in touch with their admissions department and they "hope" to have a decision for me by Friday. So...it seems I may have to make a decision to attend Dayton before I even know if I've been accepted to Vanderbilt and how much funding (definitely will not be getting 100%). 

Does anyone have any feedback or suggestions? Obviously, if I do not even know I am accepted to Vanderbilt, I will have to accept Dayton's offer. But if I do hear back by Friday, how much is their degree worth paying for? 

Now, because of the two body problem things are a bit more difficult. It could still be more affordable to attend Vanderbilt depending on how much funding I receive (if at all). Reason being, my fiancee has not been offered a GA from Dayton (which is the only source of funding available) meaning we will still be paying about $11K per year for her tuition plus more for her living expenses. On the other hand, she has already been accepted to Vanderbilt's Peabody School of Education and it seems very likely she will be offered one of the several GAs she has interviewed for, but we won't know until at the soonest another week from Friday. 

I'm really at a loss for what to do, but may be forced to accept Dayton's offer since it covers pretty much everything on my end. In that case, my fiancee will likely defer Vanderbilt until I finish 2 years from now (if possible). We just don't see the point in her paying for the degree at Dayton when she can get it paid for from Vanderbilt. Not to mention, Vanderbilt's program is top 5 in the country. 

Lot of information there, but if you made it to this point....any advice?

Edited by jsant09

jsant09, 

I'm sure you've thought about this a lot so I'd guess nothing I'll add here is going to be surprising - but that being said, here are a few thoughts:

*Is there any way you could ask for one more week from Dayton? Did they say that if you don't tell them by Friday then they'll drop your offer? I'd guess there is some flexibility on their end.

*Have you considered your wife accepting Vanderbilt and you deferring? From my perspective, it sounds like you're more excited about the possibility of attending Vanderbilt so if you deferred, you could still get in at Vanderbilt this year. Even if you don't get in this year, you would have a great shot next year. There are of course no guarantees but with my limited knowledge, it sounds like you have a good chance to get in at Vanderbilt. 

*Now that your wife got in at Vanderbilt, would she even want to attend Dayton? The reason I ask is that if she would be up for it still, perhaps there is some room for her to talk candidly with admission at Dayton and mention that she'd love to come but another schools is offering financial help. I know there's a fine line in talking with schools about finances but the worst case scenario is that they say no (she isn't planning on attending otherwise). 

*Being Catholic, is it important to you to attend a school in that tradition? Vanderbilt is a great school but it is not Catholic (although you can study Catholicism there of course). It might be good to think through how important that is to you.

There are a few thoughts. Again, I'm sure you've thought about these points and many more. Good luck!

Thanks for the input ALH3. Great suggestions. I hadn't really considered deferring but that won't be necessary now that I've heard back from Vandy. My decision with Dayton really lies with their Campus Ministry department, as they are the ones paying my tuition, housing and stipend. They have already granted me two weeks to make a decision on the GA and I asked for one more last Friday so this is all the time I have left. They've also actually been talking with other departments that have GAs advocating for my fiancee but to no avail. As far as we know the departments do not have enough funding for master students so GAs are the only way to get fully funded. Shes honestly a better candidate than I am IMO so we're kind of perplexed why they denied her a position.

You last question is the big one here. How important is it to attend a Catholic university....I'm not sure haha. I loved Dayton as an undergrad and visited Vandy and loved it also. Definitely feel like Id be in the minority theologically there, but as a former Protestant I'm ok with that. I'm mostly concerned with applying for jobs after grad school, how a Catholic employer would view my attending a non-Catholic divinity school.

Edited by jsant09