Best GIS grad school in Canada?

homie

Hi, just wondering whether there are Canadian students studying GIS on this forum. It is very hard to find the information online about the best gis grad school in Canada. Could anyone discuss his/her experience? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are you more interested in studying in a geography department or an earth sciences / geology program? There are some real content area and disciplinary differences, despite some overlapping methodologies and technologies.

A decade ago when I was an undergraduate I studied under a geographer who was visiting my university for a few years. He ordinarily held tenure at the University of Saskatchewan. His background was actually in cognitive psychology and how children understood space developmentally (which is fascinating). My memory is that UBC's education faculty has some focus in this area, although it's more geographic theory and not at all GIS. I was always more interested in economic and social geography, so if you're interested in the sciences (resource management, hydrology, etc., etc.), I can't be of much help, but I know the programs are out there. Some British universities have solid programs, too. Most of the good programs in the US that offer solid doctoral training in various forms of spatial analysis are actually tucked away in other departments.

Are you more interested in studying in a geography department or an earth sciences / geology program? There are some real content area and disciplinary differences, despite some overlapping methodologies and technologies.

A decade ago when I was an undergraduate I studied under a geographer who was visiting my university for a few years. He ordinarily held tenure at the University of Saskatchewan. His background was actually in cognitive psychology and how children understood space developmentally (which is fascinating). My memory is that UBC's education faculty has some focus in this area, although it's more geographic theory and not at all GIS. I was always more interested in economic and social geography, so if you're interested in the sciences (resource management, hydrology, etc., etc.), I can't be of much help, but I know the programs are out there. Some British universities have solid programs, too. Most of the good programs in the US that offer solid doctoral training in various forms of spatial analysis are actually tucked away in other departments.

Thank you for the reply! I am interested in GIS applications in the field of social science / human geography. It would be great if you could share more of your knowledge and experience.