MFA Waitlists

sandy bubbles

Thought I'd open up this board, to see how others are faring. For those of you who are on wait-lists, how are you using your time? Are you researching the program(s) in the meantime, or are you trying to put the subject out of mind?

I'm finding it surprisingly difficult not to obsess. I've spent more time than I probably should comparing different programs for which I'm wait-listed, so that I'm fully versed in the pros and cons of each. In reality, I might not get an offer from any one of them. 

I guess a better use of time might be planning what I'll do if I DON'T go to school this fall, but that's not as enjoyable :-)

I've heard nothing, not even a wait list possibility, and I've been on craigslist looking at housing possibilities seven months in advance... Good luck to you and hopefully, should you need it, you will be fully funded in a program that is a good fit for you. 

Thought I'd open up this board, to see how others are faring. For those of you who are on wait-lists, how are you using your time? Are you researching the program(s) in the meantime, or are you trying to put the subject out of mind?

I'm finding it surprisingly difficult not to obsess. I've spent more time than I probably should comparing different programs for which I'm wait-listed, so that I'm fully versed in the pros and cons of each. In reality, I might not get an offer from any one of them. 

I guess a better use of time might be planning what I'll do if I DON'T go to school this fall, but that's not as enjoyable :-)

I was wait listed at four programs last year. Possibly five but it wasn't official. See if you can talk to current students! That was incredibly helpful for me.

Thank you, Sarahwakes--good to know I'm not alone in looking up apartment costs/etc. for places! Hard to resist. At least Oregon notifies by mid-March, so you should know relatively soon.

And thank you for the advice and hope, samson36, since you're at a great program now! I think I'll do that. Thought maybe I should wait before bothering the schools, but now I'm realizing that if a spot does open up, there might not be a lot of time to deliberate after that. 

I've heard nothing, not even a wait list possibility, and I've been on craigslist looking at housing possibilities seven months in advance... Good luck to you and hopefully, should you need it, you will be fully funded in a program that is a good fit for you.

I can relate!!

I don't know what the solution is..maybe half thinking of a plan B (I haven't got a good one other than selling my Goosebumps collection and making millions..) and half obsessing about how far the laundromat is in relation to an apartment I don't live in, around a school I may or may not get into.

Best of luck. We're in it together.

Thank you, Sarahwakes--good to know I'm not alone in looking up apartment costs/etc. for places! Hard to resist. At least Oregon notifies by mid-March, so you should know relatively soon.

And thank you for the advice and hope, samson36, since you're at a great program now! I think I'll do that. Thought maybe I should wait before bothering the schools, but now I'm realizing that if a spot does open up, there might not be a lot of time to deliberate after that. 

I would contact schools now but that's just me. You're welcome! Yep, and I was on the waitlist at UVA before I was accepted. Crossing my fingers for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Nightsociety,

My experienced MFA pals tell me that it's generally the first couple of weeks of April that waitlistees get their final decisions because many MFA programs require their accepted students to accept or deny the acceptance by April 15th-ish. 

Thanks so much! 

So I'm on an (unranked) waitlist for my dream program. What are the steps I should take to express interest in the program? 

Should I do anything other than email and say I'm still interested, etc.? 

My advice would be to feel out the program's personality and take cues from there, as far as how much to be in contact, etc. I think some of my WL programs have been thrown off by my requests for info, where others have welcomed it with open arms. Probably also depends on if you have offers to other programs in hand, in terms of the dialogue/urgency.

What's your dream school, btw? Have been commiserating w/ other WLers over PM, if you feel like sharing.