Wanting to apply to English MA programs. Some advice needed?

Hey, everybody!

Wanted to thank you all for always guiding me and being some awesome friends. :) I'd love your opinion on another matter, if that's okay.

Well, I graduated with my MA in Humanities and Social Thought from NYU. To be honest, this program was a waste of money. I've often heard that the Draper Program at NYU is the cash cow. I didn't learn much, and I'd like to be more well-rounded in literature, especially if I have the desire to go for a PhD later.

I'm interested in Rutgers' MA in English at Camden. They even have teaching assistantships and a generous funding opportunity. Here's the thing though: I missed the February 1st deadline to be considered for the teaching assistantship. The regular deadline for the MA is July 1st.

I'm currently getting my New York teaching license, and I'm going to work like hell to get a high school teaching job. However, should I wait to apply to Rutgers next year so I can be considered for the assistantship? Or should I give it a shot and apply this year before July 1?

Thanks!

I would absolutely not spend more money on another MA, especially after you already paid for NYU's.  I'd wait it out and apply next year to a bunch of funded MA programs.  Good luck on getting a teaching job!

I agree with lyoness. You could pursue your own gap-year course of study, where you read as much as you can about the topics your MA skipped over. 

Good luck making a decision!

YC, you seem like an incredibly motivated person, who also would benefit from being out of school for a second from your comments in this in other threads. If your dedication is even half of what you exhibit on these forums, you will be able to come back after a year better than ever, and ready to take great programs by storm.

Also, you can look into classes as an unmatriculated student if you are concerned that you would need letter writers; even this would be much cheaper than an unfunded MA. 

YC, you seem like an incredibly motivated person, who also would benefit from being out of school for a second from your comments in this in other threads. If your dedication is even half of what you exhibit on these forums, you will be able to come back after a year better than ever, and ready to take great programs by storm.

Also, you can look into classes as an unmatriculated student if you are concerned that you would need letter writers; even this would be much cheaper than an unfunded MA. 

You're definitely right, friend. It's so terrible to think of paying for a second MA. Blegh..

Thank you so much. I'll definitely look into possibly taking some courses to meet professors. :)