"Better late than never" - question about emailing interviewers

I put a lot of careful thought into whether or not I would send thank you letters to people who interviewed me at schools. I even spoke with some of my colleagues at work who are on the adcom at the University where I am employed, and the general consensus was that it was not necessary and somewhat of a different protocol than, say, a job interview. They suggested that adcoms and profs are busy and the emails can be more of a nuisance.

Well, I was Waitlisted 2 business days after interviewing at my #1. It has now been 10 days ish since the interview, and, knowing that admissions are rolling and the committee meets to review Waitlisted apps after each recruitment weekend, I'm wondering - should I touch base? Is it too late to think them? Yes, yes, I'm overanalyzing, but I'm sad.

I thanked everyone I interviewed with, regardless of whether the program was what I thought to be my number 1 at the time, as I think that it's polite and it reiterates your interest in the program. As long as you don't sound like you're fishing for an acceptance, I don't see how it can hurt. In fact, I received pretty detailed/long responses from ~50% of the faculty I emailed. I would do it sooner rather than later, though.

I would suggest you don't send a thank you email since its over 3 days. At this point if you want to touch base, you should wait about another week since adcomms typically take 2-3 weeks to make their decisions.

Edited by eteshoe

I would suggest you don't send a thank you email since its over 3 days. At this point if you want to touch base, you should wait about another week since adcomms typically take 2-3 weeks to make their decisions.

Oh, they made their decision within 2 days. I'm Waitlisted. I guess just grasping for any reason to make my name show up on their radar because they beat me to the punch.

this