low GPA

gringainmexico

Hello everyone, I'm new to all this and am confused about many things!

I applied to only one school last year and was rejected. I am going to try applying to more schools this year. My BA is from state U.S university, with a GPA of 3.02, or a B average. It took me a while to figure out what I really wanted to do...I started my college career as a Pre-Med major and did poorly that first year in the sciences and math... but as soon as I transferred to IR/Spanish (what I really love!) I did much better. I am looking at Canadian univiersities for second language education Master's programs. Many of them state that a B+ GPA is the minimum requirement. Am I wasting my money applying to a school if I don't meet the minimum GPA?

THANKS!

It depends on the school. Some of these minima are more absolute than others. If you can produce a VERY strong application and this is your only weakness, SOME schools MIGHT overlook your GPA. I would advise you to contact the schools to feel them out. You'll have to spend some time planning how to do that - you have to give them a reason that it would be in THEIR best interest to make an exception to policy in your case.

Related to your need for a very strong application, I have to ask: If IR is what you love, why do you want to do your Masters in language education?