Waitlisted. Should I tell them about my other offers?

blackkat

I'm on the waitlist for my dream PhD program. I have a couple of other offers-- one for a PhD at a state university, and one for an MPH at a competitive Ivy League school. I feel incredibly lucky to have other solid options, but I really really REALLY love this program. :(

What are the pros and cons of communicating with Dream Program's admissions office to let them know that I've been accepted elsewhere, but that I still consider them my #1 choice? Could it boost my value in their eyes, or would it just make me seem weird and overshare-y?

Forum, bless me with your wisdom.

If you're waitlisted, it's because the applicant pool relative to you contained other individuals who (in the program's eyes) appear to be a better fit or more desirable, for whatever reason. A lot of people are hesitant to mention other interviews, let alone other offers, because rather than making the program think, "oh! We must act fast to secure this great student!" they might just be like, "Okay, then go there. We'll offer your spot to someone else." I would just hold tight, for fear of having the opposite outcome you desire.

I agree with this above post. You could mention to your top choice that you're still interested, despite the wait list, but don't mention other offers.  You could also ask for a general timeline of when you may find out a final decision. If it's going to be awhile (beyond April 15), you may risk losing any funding offers you have from the other schools.

I was actually thinking about a similar issue, but for somewhat a different situation. What if you are accepted to the program but waitlisted for funding? Does the general advice posted above still apply to this case as well?

Seems reasonable. I've already called the admissions office twice, and the general timeline they gave me was that I could hear back as early as this week (which is looking increasingly unlikely), or as late as the beginning of May. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Edited by blackkat

My "dream" POI waitlisted me with a 2-line email that heavily implied I was their last resort. I'm fed up and now only want to go to schools that seem like they're genuinely interested in me. After all this BS, I'm not going to be satisfied with second helpings. 

What is it about your dream school that makes it so? Is going there much more prudent career-wise? If so, hold tight. If not, ask yourself if it really even matters.

To finally answer your question - I would say no. I'm with everyone else here and think they would just give the spot to someone else. 

I'm weighing whether or not it would be worth it to tell my "dream" POI that I got into a better school. I don't think I would accept any offer from her now anyways, so it doesn't really matter, I suppose. 

I'm on the waitlist for my dream PhD program. I have a couple of other offers-- one for a PhD at a state university, and one for an MPH at a competitive Ivy League school. I feel incredibly lucky to have other solid options, but I really really REALLY love this program. :(

What are the pros and cons of communicating with Dream Program's admissions office to let them know that I've been accepted elsewhere, but that I still consider them my #1 choice? Could it boost my value in their eyes, or would it just make me seem weird and overshare-y?

Forum, bless me with your wisdom.

I don't think it'll help if you communicate this to the school. If they waitlisted you then it means you're not a top candidate so you don't really have any power. All you can do is wait it out. Just thank them and tell them that you're still interested, if you haven't told them already.