Funding (SUNY)

Where are you getting your information? I'm curious, since I have a Comparative Literature degree from SUNY... when I finished and left recently, yes times were a little rough; I was told that they were only accepting three fully funded people into the Ph.D. program (as opposed to double that during a normal year).

This is what I have heard from professors at other universities and from watching the news. The SUNY system, in general, has been affected by the downturn in the economy, as have many schools.

This is just what I have heard. I am not saying that it is 100% true, but I think I am justified, as a non-funded student, to be a little worried.

Guaranteed funding is guaranteed funding. As long as you finish your degree within the 4-6 years that your contact stipulates, you'll be fine. It may be harder niceties such as conference funding, but that's another story altogether. As other posters have noted, it may be much harder to get in because your program might have cut spots, but that's another story altogether.

• 2 weeks later...
but I think I am justified, as a non-funded student, to be a little worried.

Wait a minute -- if you're unfunded, what exactly are you worried about? Either you're funded or you're not. As the previous poster said, guaranteed funding is just that. Granted, things could change -- there's always that clause about "availability of funds" in most contracts -- but things would have to get pretty dire indeed for schools to renege on them completely. Again though, if you're not funded, I don't see what you're asking here.

SUNY is a state school -- all state schools are in trouble right now, some more than others (see: California). There are about six SUNY schools -- which are you talking about? If you're already at one, you will get far better and more accurate information asking around your dept. than looking for answers here.

I simply started this post to see if anyone is in the same boat that I am, and not for any expert advice. I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same concerns, and if they had some general information. That is what I was asking. I realize I can consult the dept. I am in to get better information. I have done this, and I accepted the offer with the possibility of funding for next year. So, although I am unfunded now, the possibility of a lack of funding in the future is a concern of mine.