Asking for Copy of LoR

I've been lurking around these forums for the past 2 years on and off. So, I finally decided to go ahead and make an account to help maintain what sanity I have left after submitting all of my graduate school applications. The waiting is torture, but I'm sure everyone already knows that. 

However, I have a question that I attempted to answer on my own with a Google search, as well as through this forum. However, I didn't have much luck. Hopefully someone can answer it here. It probably seems like a stupid, obvious question. But, I'll take the fall for it.

In regards to LoR, would it be unethical/rude to ask a professor for a personal copy? I vaguely remember reading an article or blog entry about this and they stated that it was fine to ask for a copy to have for personal records, in case you ever need to submit another copy to a department and do not want to ask your professor to do so. 

Edited by SocialHermit1

I think it's extremely uncommon to ask for a copy of letters of recommendation. Professors write them under the assumption that you won't read it, and I think it's fairly rude to undermine that understanding. Especially if you originally waived your right to read the letter when you submitted your application. 

Personally, I find that if you need another copy in the future, you should just ask the professor. 

Even though I waived my right to read my LORs during the application process, all of my recommenders offered me personal copies. I don't think it's weird or rude, but you may want to preface your request by saying that it's fine for them to say no and you won't be offended or anything.

Even though I waived my right to read my LORs during the application process, all of my recommenders offered me personal copies. I don't think it's weird or rude, but you may want to preface your request by saying that it's fine for them to say no and you won't be offended or anything.

Thanks for the input! I wouldn't think any of my professors would feel too offended by it or anything. But, it was mostly to have a personal copy. Maybe after I make my choice and give them "thank you" letters and gifts, I'll talk to them about it then. 

Thanks for the input! I wouldn't think any of my professors would feel too offended by it or anything. But, it was mostly to have a personal copy. Maybe after I make my choice and give them "thank you" letters and gifts, I'll talk to them about it then. 

Why do you want to have a personal copy? The purpose of the LOR is for the professor to be able to write the letter knowing that you will never see it unless they chose to provide you with a copy. So I think if they have not already offered you a copy, they will be uncomfortable with your request. Also, personally, I don't want to ever see my LORs--much rather assume they are good than to read it and then overinterpret every little thing they said.

It seems dishonest to waive that right only to personally ask your reference for a copy of the letter.

I don't think it's "dishonest", just not conventional and will make the professor uncomfortable. Waiving your right simply waives your right to use FERPA to access that part of your student record. It does not mean you are saying "I have not read the letter" or "I will never ask to read the letter", only that you will never use FERPA to require your PhD school to show you the letter in your student record.

Why do you want to have a personal copy? The purpose of the LOR is for the professor to be able to write the letter knowing that you will never see it unless they chose to provide you with a copy. So I think if they have not already offered you a copy, they will be uncomfortable with your request. Also, personally, I don't want to ever see my LORs--much rather assume they are good than to read it and then overinterpret every little thing they said.

More so referring to a blog/article (I really cannot recall what the source was. Apologizes) that having a personal copy for your own records was not an issue. Granted, I can see how it can be, but at the same time if you can possibly access it through the school at a future date, why not have a personal copy? But, I do understand your reasoning for it. 

More so referring to a blog/article (I really cannot recall what the source was. Apologizes) that having a personal copy for your own records was not an issue. Granted, I can see how it can be, but at the same time if you can possibly access it through the school at a future date, why not have a personal copy? But, I do understand your reasoning for it. 

Well, in theory, you waived your FERPA rights so you probably cannot access it through the school at a future date.

I'm not sure why this blog/article recommended you get a personal copy. In academia, you rarely send a LOR yourself--it's always through your LOR writer and they often need to redo the process with each request. Also, you should always notify your prof if you are submitting an LOR on their behalf so having your own copy does not really save any time. And finally, it's likely that future LOR requests will want it directly from your prof instead of from you! Academic LORs are not like regular workplace references (outside of academia, it's very common to ask for your own copy for the same reasons you state).

I've been lurking around these forums for the past 2 years on and off. So, I finally decided to go ahead and make an account to help maintain what sanity I have left after submitting all of my graduate school applications. The waiting is torture, but I'm sure everyone already knows that. 

However, I have a question that I attempted to answer on my own with a Google search, as well as through this forum. However, I didn't have much luck. Hopefully someone can answer it here. It probably seems like a stupid, obvious question. But, I'll take the fall for it.

In regards to LoR, would it be unethical/rude to ask a professor for a personal copy? I vaguely remember reading an article or blog entry about this and they stated that it was fine to ask for a copy to have for personal records, in case you ever need to submit another copy to a department and do not want to ask your professor to do so. 

Most university career centers maintain a recommendation letter service where they will hold on to a copy of your letter for several years and send it other universities and institutions on your behalf when necessary. Keep in mind though that generic recommendations are generally inferior to personalized letters.

Most university career centers maintain a recommendation letter service where they will hold on to a copy of your letter for several years and send it other universities and institutions on your behalf when necessary. Keep in mind though that generic recommendations are generally inferior to personalized letters.

This is exactly what I remember reading on that blog/article! I must have gotten my thoughts mixed up about it, but I specifically remember it stating that some universities do maintain a copy of a LoR for a student and can send them out.