Introduction

evolve

Hello everyone,

I have been perusing the different forums at the grad cafe for a couple of weeks now and thought it was about time I introduced myself. I am a senior at NCSU in biochemistry and zoology, graduating in December. Right now I'm studying for the GRE (which I'm taking in late September/early October), working on my SOP, and trying (sometimes it feels to no avail) to whittle down my list of prospective schools. I must say, along with research it is all quite daunting, so I commend all of you who have successfully conquered the graduate school application process!

I will most definitely have a considerable number of questions to ask of the wonderfully knowledgeable users here at the cafe, and I look forward to chatting in the future.

My plan so far is to try to get my list down to ten schools. I was just wondering though, based on everyone's past experiences, is somewhere in the neighborhood of October 19 too late to take the GRE considering many apps are due early December?

Thanks!

Ten schools is a good number but make sure you fully work out the costs in advance, it is a lot more money than you think and it WILL impact your wallet/life.

Ahhh I know, I am still working on that one. Guess I may have to beg some family members for money/sell some things I don't need anymore/eat nothing but Ramen! Just the logistics of applying are a headache. I could apply to fewer schools, but of course then I have a lesser chance of getting in somewhere. How can they expect us to have that kind of money?!?

I think I'll end up shooting for late September on the GRE. I can't imagine 20 days would make a huge difference if I study from now until then.

Thanks for the response Astaroth!

Earlier than late September, or were you referring to October? I think I may be able to swing the end of this month. My quant practice scores are 780-800 and verbal is upper 600's right now. I just thought that improving my verbal may be worth the extra time but I suppose since I am going into the life sciences it isn't a big deal...

Does anyone who has studied for and taken the biochem./cell/mol. bio subject test recommend a particular book to study with?

Thanks in advance.