Low GPA and looking into grad schools

So I will be applying for grad schools this fall, and I have a bit of a problem.  I have a cumulative GPA of 3.1 because I originally started in biochemistry and neuroscience, where I discovered that they were not for me a little too late.  When I found the SLP program I immediately got involved, and I have been raising my GPA ever since.  I'm absolutely passionate about the SLP field, language disorders, speech disorders, linguistics, and neurogenics.  I have a GPA of around 3.7 for my major now, while also having a linguistics minor and possibly a psychology minor in the near future.  I volunteer for two labs year round.  I work in an adult cognition lab as well as a speech perception lab.  I will also be getting 3 good letters of recommendation.  I've e-mailed a ton of grad schools as well to look into their research, specialty tracks, and to build a relationship with faculty/admissions.  

I'm worried because a professor sent out an e-mail saying that it is highly likely that people with a 3.1 won't get into a grad school so they're setting up a program for SLPAs.  What kinds of rankings should I be applying for?  Do you think there's a chance that I could still get into a decent school with a low cumulative GPA?  Do you guys have any advice on what I can do to make myself stand out?  Any suggestions at all would be welcome!

Thanks!  

Def. look into programs who look at last 60 credit hours! You can also address the way you changed your major in your statement, I kinda did the same thing and talked about how  Speech Path was just so much better for me and how I felt much more passionate about this field. You have great experience and the letters are so important. GPA isn't everything, so make sure you ace those GRE scores too, to help you. Look for programs that look at you holistically. :)

Hey @amatrent! I would totally recommend checking out these threads:

"Fall 2014 Less Competitive Grad Programs"

"Anyone get into Masters SLP program with an undergrad GPA of 3.13 or less?"

Hope this helps!

Edited by mimblewimble

You say you have lab experience. I recommend looking up professors in your field of interest and contacting them. That should help with admissions. Good luck!