Midwest Region SLP Applicant Thread

I thought it might be nice to start a place where the midwestern region (MN, NE, ND, SD, IA, WI, anywhere else nearby) applicants could gather and be nervous together, ask questions, share info, etc. about programs. It seems like the other threads have a high volume of applicants from east and west coast schools, so I figured we could have a place dedicated to our region. 

I'll start by asking if anyone else is seriously considering University of North Dakota. I'm a little weary about the program since I would still be required to take a bunch of undergraduate courses if I accept the offer...I would also like to know if anyone has any insight on the program dynamic (good professors? Placements?). 

I'm also waiting to hear from Minot State. Any comments on Minot's program would be helpful too! Their website was very impressive (that voice clinic!!!). 

I'm a fan of having a midwest thread! I don't know much about your programs so I can't be too helpful there. I want to try and talk to some students at different programs and get their thoughts. Maybe you could find a facebook group for UND or Minot and message someone?

Yes, that would be helpful! I might try to do that. I really like to get the perspectives of actual students. My favorite and most informative part of interviews have been talking to actual grad students. I feel like that's the best way to get a feel for what a program is actually like; rather than hearing the programs' perspectives on themselves (obviously going to be biased!).  :)

Does anyone have information about MSU-Mankato? I applied there but I really don't know much about the school or when they will be sending out decisions - it was around this time last year!

I received a waitlist from St. Cloud State today. Was anyone else notified for a waitlist here? I am really hoping I can get in by some miracle although it is probably a long shot. It would be nice to know how long the waitlist is but they don't let applicants know where they are at on it... I thought it was interesting that the email I received said they received over 180 applications in total. Definitely more than previous years. 

Edited by neuronparty

I applied to four schools in the Midwest. I've gotten a waitlist from Rush and will be hearing from two more (UW-M & UW-W) this coming weekend (eek!). I personally really hope I get into one of these schools because I'm from the east coast and would LOVE to experience a different part of the country rather than just staying around where I know.

I applied to four schools in the Midwest. I've gotten a waitlist from Rush and will be hearing from two more (UW-M & UW-W) this coming weekend (eek!). I personally really hope I get into one of these schools because I'm from the east coast and would LOVE to experience a different part of the country rather than just staying around where I know.

I feel the same way! I was just accepted to KU, where I'm doing my undergrad, and it's a great program. But I think would really like to go to school somewhere else! That's why the schools I applied to are all over the place. Tough decisions ahead.