Graduate courses as an undergraduate and their roll in admissions

Between this and the throwdown happening in the political science forum, wow. People are a little pissy tonight. (The poli sci one is way more entertaining... incase anybody wants to see a total meltdown haha.)

Where's the Poli Sci WWF Smackdown ?

(I think my previous post was deleted....really it's voyeur: I just want to read/look, not post/participate).)

Where's the Poli Sci WWF Smackdown ?

(I think my previous post was deleted....really it's voyeur: I just want to read/look, not post/participate).)

Ha. Enjoy: 

I wasn't trolling. If you check my first post, you'll see that I offered a genuine comment about how being a college senior and being a 1st year graduate student may seem similar now but may not once one is actually in graduate school. I have yet to see anyone take up that aspect of either my comment or the original post. It has occurred to me that this could be a disciplinary difference and perhaps the first year of psych grad school is like being a college senior. If someone could address that, I'd actually be interested now that I'm mulling it over. It would certainly be helpful to the students I talk to who are concerned that grad school will be much harder than what they've done thus far. If there's concrete evidence that, at least in psychology, taking one grad course in college and taking a full load of grad courses as a 1st year grad student is the same, I'm sure many (both here and who I advise) will be grateful and relieved by that information.

Honestly...just no. But if that's your take away point from this then so be it.  I'm sure no undergrad here would say "the work i've done as a senior is the same as the grad students in my lab". HOWEVER, just because the undergrad isn't doing that same amount of work doesn't mean he/she isn't capable of it, if put in that environment(maybe they already can but just don't need to yet? hence development). If I were solely talking about the obvious advantage of experience (by this I mean being a first year grad student and having those experiences) then I would more clearly see your point but I'm not just talking about experience. 

Hope you guys brought refreshments! Haha. It's a mess over there. I don't really know why somebody down voted your comment, MyDogHasAPhD, but now I'm sad I'm out of up votes for the day.

Oh no! I guess whoever down voted me can't find humor in a bunch of pretentious PoliSci people self destructing or maybe it was due to the fact that they feel bad for my awful sleep patterns.

How can you decouple experience and development? It is the additional experience that contributes to the development one sees (and experiences) going from college to graduate school. Again, if you aren't expecting there to be much development in you, as an individual, then why even do a graduate program? Part of graduate school is about growing and developing, and that happens from your first day there even if you took a grad course or two in undergrad. 

rising_star, as a professor who actively advises students, could you kindly share some pointers for strengthening ones' candidacy into a psychology PhD program?

Perhaps such a direction will make this conversation more fruitful. I, for one, feel like many would benefit from whatever advice you have in terms of neuroimaging software and which types of statistical programs students should be proficient in upon entry into a PhD program. I'd love some advice on which software is best for learning SEM.