GRE Help: Analogies & Antonyms

Green Star

I'm scheduled to take the GRE in 5 weeks and need some advice on how master the analogies and antonyms. I busted my butt all summer long to get my math score up and on most practice tests I get nearly all of the reading comprehension and sentence completion questions right.....................but the analogies/antonyms are killing me!!

I was wondering if anyone had any tricks or study guides on how to get these things down? For whatever reason, even when I know the vocabulary involved, I just cannot make the necessary connections to get the correct answer. It's rather frustrating as my failure in these two areas is really pulling my score down.

I hate to admit this, but just a few days before my second test, I started to memorize answers from the practice tests; you would be surprised how many of the questions are repeated or just inverted. I realize this is not the most honest approach, but the analogies & antonymns section is such a joke to begin with (see older threads for my detailed complaints regarding the GRE)!

Do you make sentences for the analogies?

Like teacher : school would be something like, teachers work at schools... of course when they get more difficult, that doesn't always work. Then you go to positive or negative, and strategies like that.

You could pick up a kaplan/princeton review etc workbook to see if they give any other suggestions.

• 1 month later...
I'm scheduled to take the GRE in 5 weeks and need some advice on how master the analogies and antonyms. I busted my butt all summer long to get my math score up and on most practice tests I get nearly all of the reading comprehension and sentence completion questions right.....................but the analogies/antonyms are killing me!!

I was wondering if anyone had any tricks or study guides on how to get these things down? For whatever reason, even when I know the vocabulary involved, I just cannot make the necessary connections to get the correct answer. It's rather frustrating as my failure in these two areas is really pulling my score down.

Get a better vocabulary. :D

Make a defining sentence for the analogies. Instead of thinking "temperature is to thermometer, as x is to y," make a sentence like "temperature is measured by a thermometer. Maybe you're already doing this.

Just do as many practice questions as possible, and review your answers. You'll get the hang of it.

Antonyms is just vocab - either you have it or you don't (or you make flashcards and practice). The analogies are slightly more tricky, but the guide book shave standard patterns that most of them fit into. For example:

______ is a tool used to ______

______ is a spurious form of _______