American SIS Decisions Posted

DCB

Ughhhhh I assumed I wasn't going to get in, now I got in, and have to make the choice between SIS and UCSD. I had already accepted that I was going to UCSD and everything. Congrats everyone!

Same thing for me! But the funding was the deal breaker.  I think I save $20K by attending UCSD over the 2 years.  If you go UCSD, I hope to see you there!

I'm an MPP applicant and didn't apply to American, so I don't have a lot to contribute to this thread, but I just wanted to comment on how interesting it is how different schools give out funding.

Take Bombaygunner for example. He/she has a really impressive profile and was offered decent funding packages from both Yale Jackson and Fletcher (amazing programs), however wasn't offered anything from American. Then when you look at other results, and there are many seemingly less impressive applicants that get funding offers from American. I wonder if there is a specific metric that they base their funding off of or what?

Just something I thought was interesting.

I think this depends a lot on whether the school gives out more merit or needs-based aid maybe? 

No, I've got the same problem. Oddly enough, it also says now on my application that I applied for a different program from what I originally selected. I don't know how that happened, but it is a bit concerning. 

Either way, I know that last year American really strung along a lot of the applicants for several weeks, letting in the 'for sure' batch first and then parsing out the rest, mostly leading to rejections. It's an extremely frustrating approach. I guess we'll just see what happens. 

No, I've got the same problem. Oddly enough, it also says now on my application that I applied for a different program from what I originally selected. I don't know how that happened, but it is a bit concerning. 

Either way, I know that last year American really strung along a lot of the applicants for several weeks, letting in the 'for sure' batch first and then parsing out the rest, mostly leading to rejections. It's an extremely frustrating approach. I guess we'll just see what happens. 

Oh wow, well i guess it makes sense as they have so many people that apply.

Same thing for me! But the funding was the deal breaker.  I think I save $20K by attending UCSD over the 2 years.  If you go UCSD, I hope to see you there!

So is cost the bottom line for your decision? I grew up in north county SD, went to undergrad at USD. American has the allure of being in DC, and also of being somewhere new and different, since I've never experienced east coast living.

UCSD's program seems a bit smaller, more tight knit, and had some amazing groups/clubs.

I keep going back and forth. I suppose I should wait for official acceptance from UCSD before I get too invested in the decision process though.

I just wanted to comment on how interesting it is how different schools give out funding.

Take Bombaygunner for example. He/she has a really impressive profile and was offered decent funding packages from both Yale Jackson and Fletcher (amazing programs), however wasn't offered anything from American. Then when you look at other results, and there are many seemingly less impressive applicants that get funding offers from American. I wonder if there is a specific metric that they base their funding off of or what?

I think it's down to 2 things:

1. My transcripts may have reached late. American SIS is one of the only schools I applied to that requires your undergrad uni to send over official hardcopy transcripts. As mine was in England and I only started my app and notified my uni a few days befor deadline day, my app may have been held as 'incomplete' by the time aid deadlines passed. I sent my softcopy transcripts way before the deadline but rules are rules. 

2. I may not have had as good a 'fit' with the school as other applicants. With Yale, I knew alums well and got a great recco letter from a very well known alum from my country. With Tufts the program director was a friend of a friend and I was able to speak to him over the phone to understand the DNA of the school and where I fit.

I'm a bit surprised about not getting any aid from American given my profile but I'm sure they have their reasons.