NATO

BMCGirl10

I know there isn't a specific forum for this but this opportunity is targeted mostly towards recent graduates from undergrad. Did anyone apply to be an North Atlantic Treaty Organization Intern for the fall or summer of 2010? We should be finding out at the end of August if we were shortlisted. Any former interns out there?

Hey,

Yeah I applied as well. I was a bit annoyed when they pushed the deadline back to end of August instead of end of July as it means there won't be much time to applying for an alternative if I don't get in. With them saying they got 3000 applications I'm not too optimistic. At least if we do get in we'll get paid a tiny bit.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

No shortlisting for me either - maybe I should have told them about the Carter Center sooner! On the plus side, it now means I have a completely free year after this, so it may give me the push to go and work overseas for a few years rather than do an MA... I'd love to know the profile of people they accepted. If you wouldn't mind sharing j9 that'd be great.

fenderpete, and others that are interested - i'm a 2008 college graduate. spent the past year doing internships that focus on research-related work on national security policy. i think what helped though was that my last internship was related to defense-related policy that is pertinent to NATO's goals. i also clearly stated in my personal statement a rough idea of how i think NATO should re-orient in the 21st century, my near-term goals, and what i hope to make of the internship.

• 5 weeks later...

I got shortlisted but then told that I'm on a waitlist. So, if somebody doesn't accept or drops out, then I'll be contacted. This is an improvement on last year, when I didn't even get shortlisted!

I think the different for me is that I'm now a graduate; I was studying for a master's whilst applying; I have now done a couple of relevant internships with international security firms; and my statement of purpose was much better, referencing specific things happening with NATO etc.

LN

Edited by LordNorth

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I've read the dates announced on the website but at the present moment I haven't received information yet about preselection and final selection. I know that a person received an email on 11th September for the preselection which stated she wasn't selected. Someone could help me?

Hi Andrea you could always email them to find out, but I would suspect that no news is bad news. I agree that if you weren't selected then you should really have received an email to tell you so (I received a rejection email last year), but I suppose if they were inundated with applications then they may not have responded to everybody. Unfortunately I think that it's unlikely you've been selected if you haven't heard anything at this stage.

I got told I'm on a wait list a while ago but then I've heard no news since then, so I'm assuming that I won't be getting any offer of an internship either! :)

Yes I got an email telling me I was shortlisted in the first week of September, then I got an email saying I was on a wait list a few weeks ago. Having heard anything since then so I assume it's all done and dusted?! Good luck with anything else you've applied to! :)

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, but have been following this thread for a couple of months now.

On Friday, the magic words appeared for me: Application Selected. I will start in September, 2013.

If anyone else has good news, please send me a message... I'd love to make some friends and contacts before I start.

To all the rest, good luck! :)