Choosing an MSW Program!

onefellswoop

Hello!  So I'm totally new to GradCafe, so definitely let me know if I'm doing something wrong!

I recently was accepted to a couple of MSW programs.  My girlfriend applied to engineering PhD programs in all the same cities as I applied to, so we were hoping we could make a decision on which city to end up in!  She got into UMass Amherst which is like, where she really wants to go! And I got into Smith College's School of Social Work.  So feasibly, we could accept those offers and go live in Western Mass! However, I was also accepted to UPenn and Case Western and University of Washington (she was also accepted to schools in those cities, but she doesn't love them as much as UMass).  I guess I'm wondering how much it will matter if I go to Smith instead of those other programs.  Social work programs seem to be pretty inconsistently ranked and I'm not sure who else to ask!  I'm not positive I'll want to get a PhD in social work at a later stage in my life, but if I did, will it affect my PhD application if my masters is from a smaller school rather than a bigger, often more highly ranked program?
Thank you so much and sorry this post is so long!

I honestly do not feel as though ranking matters in MSW programs in any way, shape or form. You want to go to a program that fits your needs and goals. If you want to specialize, you'll need to choose a program that offers that specialization. If you don't, then choose a program that is generalist in its philosophy.

I know most people here don't really care about student loan debt, but that should bear more consideration than ranking. Student loan debt is no joke. It's a hole that people dig themselves into without any real understanding of what it takes to get out. In social work, going to a "highly ranked" school won't earn you a higher salary when you come out. You'll still be offered the same $35,000 job that my friend just got offered, WITH a Master's degree. Once you pay out your IBR student loan payment, that doesn't leave a lot for food and rent.

As far as doing a PhD goes, getting accepted has more to do with what you do at your school (research, a GRA/GTA, writing/pubs, presentations) and what you do after school, etc. than the ACTUAL school you attend for your MSW. I am starting a PhD and my MSW program is ranked in the 100s. Granted, my undergrad is from a top 5 institution, but I also did a ton of work at my MSW program to build my resume. When I interviewed, the feedback that I got was that "It is nice to see a social work student so interested in research," not "Why didn't you attend a more highly ranked program? Your school is bunk."

Someone else from my school got accepted to (really, was recruited to) a top 5 PhD program last year, and she did undergrad and MSW both there, so I really don't think ranking means anything.

So in short, I would consider your needs, their curriculum, affordability, and opportunities for research and publications over ranking.

Edited by pippapants